Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

Default Numbering/Paragraph Formatting

In my merge document, my fields produce hard returns for multiple
entries in my data sheet. For example:

a.) Acquired by MERGEFIELD1
b.) Liscensed to MERGEFIELD2
c.) Taxed by MERGEFIELD3

where MERGEFIELD1, and MERGEFIELD 2 has hard returns in its output and
ends up being:

a.) Acquired by Person
b.) Person
c.) Person
d.) Liscensed to Other Person
e.) Other Person
f.) Other Person
g.)Taxed by Last Person
h.) Last Person
i.) Last Person

How do I prevent those hard returns continuing the numbering, and from
changing the paragraph format? So it looks like this:

a.) Acquired by Person
Person
Person
b.) Liscensed to Other Person
Other Person
Other Person
c.) Taxed by Last Person
Last Person
Last Person

The reason I ask is that in my document, there is a certain format I'm
conforming to, and I can't have the merge fields tampering with them.
I've tried formatting the fields after a merge, saving as a template,
and remerging, and it still produces continued numbering.

FYI: using Microsoft Word 2003 and Excel 2003 as a data sheet
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Nit_Wit_400,

Simple: use manual line breaks between the lines for each entry, rather than paragraph breaks. If you format the paragraphs with
hanging indentation, you sould be able to have all the entries line up, too.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Nit_Wit_400" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

Macropod,

You Said:
Hi Nit_Wit_400,

Simple: use manual line breaks between the lines for each entry, rather than paragraph breaks. If you format the paragraphs with
hanging indentation, you sould be able to have all the entries line up, too.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

That is very simple, however, that is tail-end work, and I need the
formatting to happen when the document is merged, not after... can
this be done, or am I just going to have to put manual line breaks
after each line? Keep in mind there are upwards of 1000 lines total
involving mergefields.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nit_Wit_400 Nit_Wit_400 is offline

I guess sometimes your problems are best solved by yourself.

Macropod,

Thank you for the help. It's simplicity lead me to the solution
suited to what the document requires; I was simply being too
complicated... or lazy.

Instead of using Microsoft's numbering format, I simply typed out the
a.), b.), c.) part and (it took three times before it got the hint)
turned "bullets and numbering" off.

The fields still mess with the indentation of the non-field material,
but it's a much simpler fix than deleting a huge amount of numbers/
letters after the merge and adding manual line breaks. This way, it's
a matter of dragging tabs over every once in a while.

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Nit_Wit_400,

If you make those changes to your mailmerge main document, you won't have to make them to the output files afterwards.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Nit_Wit_400" wrote in message ...