Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
carbon06 carbon06 is offline

Default Data source is read-only

I'm using Word 2007 and I'm having a problem with a .doc data source in a
mail merge. I'm using an existing document that was created in an earlier
version of Word and has all of the mail merge fields already saved in it. The
document and the data source are both saved on a network.

I open the document, edit the data source & enter the new information that I
want in the doucment, and I merge into a new document. It merges fine and I
can print. I close the merged document without saving. I then try to close
the original document and I receive the following:
"86A9058F.doc is a mail merge main document that is attached to a data
source example.doc that has not been saved. Do you want to save example.doc?"
If I click Yes, I get: "This file is read-only. (example.doc)". The only
option I have is to click OK. The "86A9058F.doc" is a temporary file name
that changes each time I try to do a merge. I want the data source to be
saved.

I did save the data source to the local drive and I am able to save the data
source after a mail merge when it's saved there. However, I want to be able
to save the data source to the network drive, so it gets backed up every
night. Having the data source saved to the local drive is only a temporary
workaround for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?