Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JB[_2_] JB[_2_] is offline

Default Merge Numbers from Excel

Hello
In either MSWord02 or 03
When producing a mail merge from excel where some columns have numbers with
decimals, how do you merge the exact same number, as seen in Excel.
i.e 6.43 What comes through into word is a number with tons of decimals.
ie. 6.427893564 and such.
In excel no matter how I format it nothing changes in the merge even if I
choose No decimal places. So rather than have all those decimals I've
rounded up in excel, copied and pasted 'value' over it.

Any ideas on this please.
Thank you
Jen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You have two main choices:
a. change the "connection method" to DDE, in which case you will
probably see the numbers as they appear in Excel, but other problems may
occur (to do that, check Word Tools-Options-General-Confirm
conversions at open, then go through the connection process again and
select the DDE mthod when it is offered
b. apply "numeric formatting switches" to the relevant fields in Word,
e.g.
- use Alt-F9 to show "field code" view
- where you have { MERGEFiELD mynumber } or { MERGEFIELD mynumber
\*Mergeformat }, change it to
{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#0.00 }

(b) is probably the better way to go longer term.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv