Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Default Can Word 2000 run under Windows 7?

More in hope than expectation, I just tried installing Word 2000 (from the
complete Works Suite 2000) on a brand-new PC running Windows 7 Home Premium.
The installation appeared to go perfectly, but when I first tried to launch
the program I got this message:

"Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run.
Please run setup again to correct this problem."

A bit of Googling turned up the information that this message can turn up in
Windows XP and Vista too, so it doesn't seem to be particular to 7. But
none of the information I've found on how to fix it is specific to 7, so
I'm slightly at a loss. I did find accounts of Word 2000 running flawlessly
on Windows 7, so it does appear to be possible.

And yes, of course I know that what I'm trying to do is probably daft: a
nearly-ten-year old application and a brand-new OS. But Word 2000 does
everything I need, and I'm used to it; I don't want to buy a newer version
unless I absolutely have to. But *do* I absolutely have to?

Many thanks,

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Sorry, should have said: when I tried to run Setup again, as instructed, it
wouldn't launch.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Maybe it can be fixed by following the information in the article "How to
re-register Word when problems crop up opening files" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sorry, should have said: when I tried to run Setup again, as instructed,
it wouldn't launch.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Doug Robbins wrote:

Maybe it can be fixed by following the information in the article "How to
re-register Word when problems crop up opening files" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm

Thanks for that, but I ran into two snags:

1. The article tells you to type winword /r in the Start/Run box. I'm very
new to Windows 7, but so far I've not been able to find a Start/Run box. It
might be buried away somewhere.

2. The alternative given is to double-click on the file winword.reg.
Again, I might not be using the Search facility properly (it seems to be
nowhere near as well-designed as the XP equivalent) but I cannot locate that
particular file on my PC.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Well, it's not often I can answer one of my own questions, but this time I
can. Maybe this might be useful to someone, somewhere, who knows?

Word 2000 *can* be run under Windows 7, with no problems that I can so far
see. Win7 does have a "Run" option, well hidden, and entering and running
Winword /r does indeed register the program and unlock it.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Winkey+R opens the RUN dialog. You should make a point of learning the
WinKey+ shortcuts as they are useful.

You'll find them all here listed under 'Windows Logo Key Keyboard Shortcuts
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/W...oard-shortcuts

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Well, it's not often I can answer one of my own questions, but this time I
can. Maybe this might be useful to someone, somewhere, who knows?

Word 2000 *can* be run under Windows 7, with no problems that I can so far
see. Win7 does have a "Run" option, well hidden, and entering and
running Winword /r does indeed register the program and unlock it.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Terry,

Winkey+R opens the RUN dialog. You should make a point of learning the
WinKey+ shortcuts as they are useful.

Yes, I agree; it's only because I'm so new to Win7 that I haven't explored
them yet. Many thanks for the link to the list.

I have discovered one thing I need to change in Word 2000: the left-hand
pane of the Files box has a shortcut to
My Documents, which I used to find very handy in XP: as soon as I've looked
up how to customise it, I must change it to the 7 equivalent, which seems to
be Libraries/Documents. Curiously though, if I click on My Documents it
does bring up a partial list of what I put into the Libraries/Documents
directory. Win7 seems to have a Public Libraries directory as well as a
Personal User one, though I haven't yet figured out the exact difference,
nor why some of the files which I put into the former have also appeared in
the latter. So thinking about it, perhaps the shortcut can stay and I
simply need to move some files around.

Lots to play with today!

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, I agree; it's only because I'm so new to Win7 that I haven't explored
them yet. Many thanks for the link to the list.

The shortcuts aren't new. I'm using them in Windows XP, and I'm pretty sure
I learned them in Windows 2000.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules[_3_] Bert Coules[_3_] is offline

Suzanne,

The shortcuts aren't new. I'm using them in Windows XP, and I'm pretty
sure I learned them in Windows 2000.

Ah, good, a bit of consistency. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bert