Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson Ron Patterson is offline

Default Word 2002 SP2 saving files

Apparently when you edit a file in Word 2002 and save it, it only saves a
backup copy of the previous file rendition. If you have made any changes,
the current backup copy will not reflect them. So, to create a current
backup copy of a file I have edited, I must save it, then alter it with a
period or something, then save it again, then delete the last change. How
can I make Word save the current version of a file. Excel does this. Why
someone would want to save the previous version is beyond me. They could
always use SAVE AS to retain the previous version if they wanted to for some
reason. It seems to me the 'default' should always be to save the most
current version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If by "backup" you mean the "Backup of filename.wbk" file, then the
previous version is exactly what this is meant to be--a known good version
to which you can revert if the current one goes pear-shaped. To create true
backups (on a different drive or on external media), you need backup
software, or at least the utility referenced from
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm (found at
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm).

http://word.mvps.org

"Ron Patterson" wrote in message
m...
Apparently when you edit a file in Word 2002 and save it, it only saves a
backup copy of the previous file rendition. If you have made any changes,
the current backup copy will not reflect them. So, to create a current
backup copy of a file I have edited, I must save it, then alter it with a
period or something, then save it again, then delete the last change. How
can I make Word save the current version of a file. Excel does this. Why
someone would want to save the previous version is beyond me. They could
always use SAVE AS to retain the previous version if they wanted to for
some reason. It seems to me the 'default' should always be to save the
most current version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ron Patterson Ron Patterson is offline

Thank you Suzanne for the explanation. It just seems at odds with the way
Excel works (which I prefer). When you save an Excel file the backup copy
created is the same as the file you just worked on. Aside from the 'work
around' that I mentioned can you think of any way to tweak Word to act the
same way.

Ron