Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Restart existing page numbers in each section

I have a document that I have broken into 8 sections. It's a quick
reference guide. Each section describes a difference procedure.

I already have the headers and footers set up the way I want them, but
I would like to restart the page numbers at 1 in each section.

The online help suggests using Insert | Page numbers, but that
repalces my existing footers.

How can I leave my footers as they but only restart the numbering?

Can I automatically cause page numbering to restart at 1 in all
sections, including ones I might add later?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Insert | Page Numbers is one way to go, depending on version. If you're
using Word 2003 or earlier, you can get to the Page Number Format dialog
directly from the Header and Footer toolbar (the Format Page Number button).
In Word 2007, you use Insert | Page Numbers | Format Page Numbers to get to
it. Then use "Start at 1" for each section.

http://word.mvps.org

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
news
I have a document that I have broken into 8 sections. It's a quick
reference guide. Each section describes a difference procedure.

I already have the headers and footers set up the way I want them, but
I would like to restart the page numbers at 1 in each section.

The online help suggests using Insert | Page numbers, but that
repalces my existing footers.

How can I leave my footers as they but only restart the numbering?

Can I automatically cause page numbering to restart at 1 in all
sections, including ones I might add later?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:48:58 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Insert | Page Numbers is one way to go, depending on version. If you're
using Word 2003 or earlier, you can get to the Page Number Format dialog
directly from the Header and Footer toolbar (the Format Page Number button).
In Word 2007, you use Insert | Page Numbers | Format Page Numbers to get to
it. Then use "Start at 1" for each section.

I'm using Word 2007, sorry.

That procedure works, but apparently I have to manually do it for each
section one at a time, right? I tried selecting all sections and then
doing the procedure above, but no joy.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

Insert | Page Numbers is one way to go, depending on version. If you're
using Word 2003 or earlier, you can get to the Page Number Format dialog
directly from the Header and Footer toolbar (the Format Page Number button).
In Word 2007, you use Insert | Page Numbers | Format Page Numbers to get to
it. Then use "Start at 1" for each section.

I'm using Word 2007, sorry.

That procedure works, but apparently I have to manually do it for each
section one at a time, right? I tried selecting all sections and then
doing the procedure above, but no joy.

To do it manually, you do have to repeat the same procedure for each
section. To automate it, use the following macro (see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed):

Sub StartEverySectionAtPage1()
Dim oSec As Section
For Each oSec In ActiveDocument.Sections
With oSec.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).PageNumbers
.RestartNumberingAtSection = True
.StartingNumber = 1
End With
Next