Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Font Styles Not Showing Up

This is a Windows Question for Word Users.....

I have some Third Party Fonts I was using on an old machine that I am
retiring and moved them to my new Vista Machine The face has Roman,
Bold, Italic, Bold/Italic.

I copy the font files into the font directory. In Word (and everything
else, only Regular and Bold Italic show up in the font dialog as being
available.

Then reboot and delete the fonts.

Then I installed roman. ---- Word shows (font dialog) all four font
styles.
Then I installed Bold. ---- Word shows all four font styles.
Then I installed Bold Italic. ---- Word shows only Regular and Bold
Italic.

Then reboot and delete the fonts.
Then I installed roman. ---- Word shows all four font styles.
I type in some text and format it in all four styles.
Then I installed italic. ---- Word still shows all four font styles.
And, as expected, the "italic" text goes from slanted to real italic.
Then I installed Bold. ---- Word shows all four font styles. Less
noticeably, but text changes.
Then I installed Bold Italic. ---- Word shows al four styles.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Because other applications had
the exact same problem, it was obviously not a "Word" problem.

However, why should the order of font face installation be an issue?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The printer driver.

Word interrogates the printer driver parameters to see how the printer will
lay out a document and what the printer can use in terms of printable area,
paper sizes and fonts. If the printer won't accept the font, then Word won't
display it as an available choice. So try checking the printer's
requirements.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

wrote:
This is a Windows Question for Word Users.....

I have some Third Party Fonts I was using on an old machine that I am
retiring and moved them to my new Vista Machine The face has Roman,
Bold, Italic, Bold/Italic.

I copy the font files into the font directory. In Word (and everything
else, only Regular and Bold Italic show up in the font dialog as being
available.

I'm surprised "Bold Italic" shows up. Word and most other Windows programs
usually handle the whole font family behind the scenes.
You see only the base font as a "font" in the font dropdown, and apply
italic, bold, or bold italic as "font styles" (say with the buttons on the
formatting toolbar):
http://www.addbalance.com/word/image...tDialogBox.gif

Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Oops, mis-read your problem. Ignore what I wrote!
Since both the handling of existing font families, and the "faking"
(bolding/slanting) if some style is missing, is done by the OS, maybe a
Vista fonts group (if there is such a beast) would know what's going on?

Sorry,
Klaus

Showing Styles CJ Page Layout 1 July 27th 07 10:10 AM
Showing all styles in a template Nozza Page Layout 3 July 24th 07 01:28 PM
styles, only the heading showing, not the text [email protected] New Users 4 July 19th 07 07:38 PM
styles and formating pane not showing selected styles Mike B Microsoft Word Help 1 April 25th 06 01:53 PM
Font properties of table styles versus paragraph styles Bob S Tables 3 February 8th 05 01:13 PM