Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Default Footnotes vanish from WD2007 to WD2003?

In WD2007 I am writing a long document made up nearly entirely of tables on
every page and with a couple of hundred footnotes scattered through the file.
It looks fine and dandy, but at the moment I have no printer, so I transfer
the file to a WD2003 machine, with the MS Compatability pack in it, or I save
the file as a WD97-2003 format. Either way I get a .doc to print. Neither way
does it show the footnotes. They're there, and show if I hover over the
footnote mark, or if I use Normal view, but they vanish (and the doc shortens
by five pages) in Print Layout view or when printed.

The rows fit the pages, and the tables split themselves between pages, but
even if I split them deliberately, it does not bring my footnotes back.
Please would someone suggest where I should look next?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The only time I've seen footnotes disappear this way was in a document
containing a table with very deep rows, extending over several pages. Word's
practice is to put footnotes for a given row on the page where the row ends.
If it happens that a row is so deep and contains so many footnotes that when
the end of the row finally arrives there are too many footnotes to fit on
the page, they just vanish. You say you have tried splitting the rows, so
perhaps this is not what is happening in your case.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jonathan589" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jonathan589 Jonathan589 is offline

Thank you for your speedy (as ever!) response: I do appeciate it.

My rows mostly contain two lines of text, the very occasional one has more
up to about five, so they're not deep.

I think it's to do with the sheer size of the 250pp/15MB file, as the
footnotes start appearing when I reduce it. Deleting most of the pages so
there are just a couple of footnotes allows them to appear in Print Layout
view. It may relate to the number of indexing entries (thousands). I will now
continue to experiment.

.