Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

Default Booklet printing in Word 2007

Tearing my hair out and wasting LOTS of paper and toner in trying to print a
booklet. I do NOT have a duplex printer, but I cannot seem to get the
settings right for this - the pages either don't print next to each other
properly, or are upside down, or in the wrong order.
Can anyone point me to a GOOD tutorial where I can see what I am not doing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Word is crap at booklet printing. Instead, save your document to PDF using
Word 2007's built-in converter. Then open the document in Adobe Reader v9
and use its booklet feature. It is impressively good! It is the one saving
grace in installing a PDF reader that is such a hog.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Gordon" wrote in message
Tearing my hair out and wasting LOTS of paper and toner in trying to print
a booklet. I do NOT have a duplex printer, but I cannot seem to get the
settings right for this - the pages either don't print next to each other
properly, or are upside down, or in the wrong order.
Can anyone point me to a GOOD tutorial where I can see what I am not
doing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Word is crap at booklet printing. Instead, save your document to PDF using
Word 2007's built-in converter. Then open the document in Adobe Reader v9
and use its booklet feature. It is impressively good! It is the one saving
grace in installing a PDF reader that is such a hog.

Thanks! I'll give that a try....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Word is crap at booklet printing. Instead, save your document to PDF using
Word 2007's built-in converter. Then open the document in Adobe Reader v9
and use its booklet feature. It is impressively good! It is the one saving
grace in installing a PDF reader that is such a hog.

Doesn't work. I have seven pages of text and Acrobat will NOT print the
blank page as page 8 at the end of the document.
In other words instead of printing page 1 and page 8 (the blank page) on the
first sheet, it prints page 1 and page 7, but it prints a blank page in
front of page 2 so that page 2 is NOT on the reverse side of the paper to
page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I've never had any problem printing a booklet with an odd number of pages in
Acrobat Reader. Have you insert a break next odd page at the end of the
first page?

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Word is crap at booklet printing. Instead, save your document to PDF
using Word 2007's built-in converter. Then open the document in Adobe
Reader v9 and use its booklet feature. It is impressively good! It is the
one saving grace in installing a PDF reader that is such a hog.

Doesn't work. I have seven pages of text and Acrobat will NOT print the
blank page as page 8 at the end of the document.
In other words instead of printing page 1 and page 8 (the blank page) on
the first sheet, it prints page 1 and page 7, but it prints a blank page
in front of page 2 so that page 2 is NOT on the reverse side of the paper
to page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

In fact, I just retested this. I took a 5 page (A4) document and saved it as
PDF.

I opened it in Acrobat Reader, selected Print and in the option dialog chose
Booklet Printing under Scaling, Both Sides under Booklet Subset, set my
printer driver to Duplex (Both Sides) and pressed OK. It printed a perfect
A5 booklet using Pages 1-5 with pages 6-8 entirely blank as expected.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Word is crap at booklet printing. Instead, save your document to PDF
using Word 2007's built-in converter. Then open the document in Adobe
Reader v9 and use its booklet feature. It is impressively good! It is the
one saving grace in installing a PDF reader that is such a hog.

Doesn't work. I have seven pages of text and Acrobat will NOT print the
blank page as page 8 at the end of the document.
In other words instead of printing page 1 and page 8 (the blank page) on
the first sheet, it prints page 1 and page 7, but it prints a blank page
in front of page 2 so that page 2 is NOT on the reverse side of the paper
to page 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I've never had any problem printing a booklet with an odd number of pages
in Acrobat Reader. Have you insert a break next odd page at the end of the
first page?

No. (I have to say it's not my document - it was originally created in
Publisher and has been converted to Word for insertion in another document,
although it's a document in it's own right)

If I insert a break -next odd page at the bottom of page 1, when it gets
saved as pdf there's a blank page as page 2.....so that doesn't work either.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
In fact, I just retested this. I took a 5 page (A4) document and saved it
as PDF.

I opened it in Acrobat Reader, selected Print and in the option dialog
chose Booklet Printing under Scaling, Both Sides under Booklet Subset, set
my printer driver to Duplex (Both Sides) and pressed OK. It printed a
perfect A5 booklet using Pages 1-5 with pages 6-8 entirely blank as
expected.

There is definitely something very weird going on here. It doesn't matter
what I do, the print preview in Acrobat shows the WRONG printing - the blank
page is inserted in front of page 2, NOT next to page 1, which is where it
should be.
If I choose Odd pages, (I don't have a duplex printer), it shows page 1 and
page 7, NOT page 1 and the blank page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I agree that's wrong, but I'm not sure why. Have you tried it with a
different document?

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
In fact, I just retested this. I took a 5 page (A4) document and saved it
as PDF.

I opened it in Acrobat Reader, selected Print and in the option dialog
chose Booklet Printing under Scaling, Both Sides under Booklet Subset,
set my printer driver to Duplex (Both Sides) and pressed OK. It printed a
perfect A5 booklet using Pages 1-5 with pages 6-8 entirely blank as
expected.

There is definitely something very weird going on here. It doesn't matter
what I do, the print preview in Acrobat shows the WRONG printing - the
blank page is inserted in front of page 2, NOT next to page 1, which is
where it should be.
If I choose Odd pages, (I don't have a duplex printer), it shows page 1
and page 7, NOT page 1 and the blank page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I agree that's wrong, but I'm not sure why. Have you tried it with a
different document?

No I haven't yet - I'll do that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I agree that's wrong, but I'm not sure why. Have you tried it with a
different document?

Yes. It does exactly the same thing.
Could it be the printer driver?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Well that's one item that common to the different documents, so it very
could be.

If you have a non-confidential document, you could send it to me as an email
attachment for testing.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
I agree that's wrong, but I'm not sure why. Have you tried it with a
different document?

Yes. It does exactly the same thing.
Could it be the printer driver?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Well that's one item that common to the different documents, so it very
could be.

If you have a non-confidential document, you could send it to me as an
email attachment for testing.

Thanks - I'll send you the original pdf - it's a Good Friday service so not
very confidential!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Hi Gordon

I got the fine. It was a 9 page PDF but the final 2 pages were blank. So I
printed a duplex booklet selecting pages 1-7. The PDF printer perfectly onto
2 sheets of A4 which when folded in half made a perfect booklet. So you may
be correct in that your printer driver is the problem.

FWIW, I use a Canon Pixma ip4600 which I believe has recently been
superseded by the IP4700.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Well that's one item that common to the different documents, so it very
could be.

If you have a non-confidential document, you could send it to me as an
email attachment for testing.

Thanks - I'll send you the original pdf - it's a Good Friday service so
not very confidential!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Hi Gordon

I got the fine. It was a 9 page PDF but the final 2 pages were blank. So I
printed a duplex booklet selecting pages 1-7. The PDF printer perfectly
onto 2 sheets of A4 which when folded in half made a perfect booklet. So
you may be correct in that your printer driver is the problem.

FWIW, I use a Canon Pixma ip4600 which I believe has recently been
superseded by the IP4700.

Thanks for that Terry - my printer is a Lexmark C540N Colour Laser but it
has no Duplex, so that might be the problem? I presume that a document with
even numbers of text pages might be OK. I'll try it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Hi Gordon

I got the fine. It was a 9 page PDF but the final 2 pages were blank. So
I printed a duplex booklet selecting pages 1-7. The PDF printer perfectly
onto 2 sheets of A4 which when folded in half made a perfect booklet. So
you may be correct in that your printer driver is the problem.

FWIW, I use a Canon Pixma ip4600 which I believe has recently been
superseded by the IP4700.

Thanks for that Terry - my printer is a Lexmark C540N Colour Laser but it
has no Duplex, so that might be the problem? I presume that a document
with even numbers of text pages might be OK. I'll try it.

No it didn't. I assume it's because I have no duplex. Bummer. Interestingly
it seemed to work with my non-duplex Samsung CLP 300N...but the memory may
be going!
Thanks for all the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Hi Gordon

I got the fine. It was a 9 page PDF but the final 2 pages were blank. So I
printed a duplex booklet selecting pages 1-7. The PDF printer perfectly
onto 2 sheets of A4 which when folded in half made a perfect booklet. So
you may be correct in that your printer driver is the problem.

FWIW, I use a Canon Pixma ip4600 which I believe has recently been
superseded by the IP4700.

Interestingly I have just done this in Open Office - worked OK!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Gordon[_4_] Gordon[_4_] is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
That's just weird!