Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stanley Stanley is offline

Default Text box in a Word template

I want to insert a text box from the forms toolbar into a template (.dot)
file. When I do this, I unprotect my document and add the text field. Then I
protect the document again.
This is OK execept there is nothing to indicate to the user what to type
into that field; it is just blank until the user clicks there.
I would like to provide the user with some indication of what to type in
the field-- for example [enter date here]. Once he type there the message
should get replaced with what he types.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Stanley
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can type default text into a text form field. Double-click on the field
to open the Text Form Field Options dialog and type the desired default
text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Stanley" wrote in message
I want to insert a text box from the forms toolbar into a template (.dot)
file. When I do this, I unprotect my document and add the text field. Then
protect the document again.
This is OK execept there is nothing to indicate to the user what to type
into that field; it is just blank until the user clicks there.
I would like to provide the user with some indication of what to type in
the field-- for example [enter date here]. Once he type there the message
should get replaced with what he types.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Stanley

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

With the template unprotected, double-click the text field or click
the Properties button on the Forms toolbar. The top right item in the
dialog is "Default text", which is for exactly the purpose you stated.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman