Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
QNman QNman is offline

Default How do I make Word 2007 as smart as 2003?

I am new to 2007, was familiar and comfortable with 2003.

When making numbered lists in 2003, Word always seemed to "get it" and if I
changed one part of the numbered list (formatting), it would correct the rest
of the list. Using tab or alt-tab shifted one position to match the previous
numbered lists quite effectively; better than 1997 did.

2007 can't seem to get it. If I make a correction to one part, if more
likely messes up what I just corrected, rather than correct the rest as I
just did. Also, tab and alt-tab seem to really confuse it - it makes up new
formats of numbered lists that flat don't match what I have previously input.
I have to re-format each time I change numbered list levels - very
frustrating.

And help is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you want Tab and Shift+Tab to change the numbering level (of a multilevel
list), be sure to select "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and
backspaces" on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box;
you can access the dialog box via Office button | Word Options, Proofing
category, AutoCorrect Options.

Note that in all Word versions (at least back to Word 97), the safest
approach to numbered lists is styles. In Word 2007, the equivalence of the
Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box of Word 2003 is the multilevel
dialog. After you've set up styles the way you want them, assign them to
numbering levels via Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel
List.

To edit an existing multilevel list, place the insertion point in the first
level 1 item, and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP