Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

Default Total Page Number Minus Number of Pages in Front Matter

I have a document with 4 pages of front matter (cover page and table of
contents) and then 42 pages of text in the body of the document. I have the
pages of the body numbered "Page X of Y", but the Y is the total pages of the
entire document (46) and I want it to represent Y minus the pages in the
front matter (42) i.e. I want all my body pages to actually say "Page 'X 'of
42" not "Page 'X' of 46". Of course I could manually enter the number 42 in
place of Y, but the document will eventually be updated and additional pages
will result so I want it automated. (If the solution involves fields and
formulas, go slow I have no idea how to create new ones!)

Thanks so much!
Rhonda