Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PT PT is offline

Default Spelling Mystery

The word "superintendent" is sometimes misspelled as "superintendant". In
my Word 2003, the misspelled version is not flagged by the spell checker. I
looked in my custom dictionary, to confirm that neither version is included.
So why no flagging?

--

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word 2007, like Word 2003, also thinks that both are acceptable.

The easiest solution would be to create an AutoCorrect entry that
automatically changes "superintendant" to "superintendent" when it's typed.
Slightly more work would be to to create an exclude/exception dictionary,
and to put superintendant into it to force Word to flag it as wrong. I'd use
the former if they were my own mistakes, and the latter if I needed to
correct someone else's work (i.e., my own AutoCorrect entries don't force
someone else's Word to automatically get corrected).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"PT" wrote in message
The word "superintendent" is sometimes misspelled as "superintendant". In
my Word 2003, the misspelled version is not flagged by the spell checker.
I looked in my custom dictionary, to confirm that neither version is
included. So why no flagging?

--

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can reproduce this. Given that Google considers it a mistake ("Did you
mean: superintendent?"), I think we can assume this is a bug (and it hasn't
been corrected in Word 2007, either).

"PT" wrote in message
The word "superintendent" is sometimes misspelled as "superintendant". In
my Word 2003, the misspelled version is not flagged by the spell checker.
I looked in my custom dictionary, to confirm that neither version is
included. So why no flagging?

--

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert Robert is offline

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:38:36 -0700, PT wrote:

The word "superintendent" is sometimes misspelled as "superintendant". In
my Word 2003, the misspelled version is not flagged by the spell checker. I
looked in my custom dictionary, to confirm that neither version is included.
So why no flagging?

The OED gives "superintendant" as an obsolete spelling formerly used when
"superintendant" was considered a foreign loan word from French
("superintendant" is the still current French spelling).

Mystery trese Microsoft Word Help 1 May 29th 07 12:39 PM
NORMAL DOT Mystery binar Microsoft Word Help 2 March 21st 07 02:50 PM
Line Mystery Karen Microsoft Word Help 8 August 28th 06 09:44 PM
Mystery Objects Joel Reeves Microsoft Word Help 1 August 17th 06 09:55 PM
Mystery Line Kelly G Page Layout 1 February 15th 06 06:18 PM