Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
UltimateGaijin UltimateGaijin is offline

Default Please help with (basic) format question.

Is there a particular way to NOT have the first line of a first/new page
indented?

I've been ready and experimenting but I always end up the first word of a
new page indented. I'd like it to look something like,

***** ********** * ******** **** ******** *. ******** **** ** *******.
********* **** *** ******* .
*****, ************ ********* ********. *********** ********* ******
***. ***********.
I don't know the name of the rule, but most stuff i read has the first
paragraph of a new page not intented

I hope you can understand that.
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alborg alborg is offline

Hi the

If you go to Format- Styles and Formatting- select, say, "Normal". Now
click on "Modify", then click on "Format", then "Paragraph", then in the
"Indentation" area, in the "Special" combo-box, select "First Line". Now in
the "By" combo-box you can put "0".

That should do it. Remember to click on the checkmark area to "Add to
template" if you want it saved to your "Normal" template.

Cheers,
Al

"UltimateGaijin" wrote:

Is there a particular way to NOT have the first line of a first/new page
indented?

I've been ready and experimenting but I always end up the first word of a
new page indented. I'd like it to look something like,

***** ********** * ******** **** ******** *. ******** **** ** *******.
********* **** *** ******* .
*****, ************ ********* ********. *********** ********* ******
***. ***********.
I don't know the name of the rule, but most stuff i read has the first
paragraph of a new page not intented

I hope you can understand that.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Can you clarify this a little?

The first line of any new page - the first page of a new document or
additional pages that come later - should not be indented automatically
unless it is also the first line of a new paragraph *and* the style applied
to the paragraph calls for indentation or it's the continuation of a
paragraph that has a left indent applied.

A more exact description would be most helpful . Which version of Word are
you using & what styles/paragraph formatting have been applied?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/8/08 4:32 AM, in article
, "UltimateGaijin"
wrote:

Is there a particular way to NOT have the first line of a first/new page
indented?

I've been ready and experimenting but I always end up the first word of a
new page indented. I'd like it to look something like,

***** ********** * ******** **** ******** *. ******** **** ** *******.
********* **** *** ******* .
*****, ************ ********* ********. *********** ********* ******
***. ***********.
I don't know the name of the rule, but most stuff i read has the first
paragraph of a new page not intented

I hope you can understand that.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If the first line on the page is the beginning of a paragraph, and you are
using an indented paragraph style, such as Body Text First Indent, you can
apply an unindented style, such as Body Text, to the first paragraph. There
is no real publishing convention in this regard, however, except that the
first paragraph following a side heading is usually flush left, and that
situation can be handled by making Body Text the following style for your
heading styles and Body Text First Indent the following style for Body Text.

If you're getting an apparent indent even though the text at the top of the
page is in the middle of a paragraph, there are two possible causes:

1. You're usually an indented style and have inserted a manual page break at
the end of the previous page, thus creating a paragraph break as well.
Manual page breaks should be avoided.

2. A frame or text box or other invisible graphic object anchored to the
header is displacing the text; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm

"UltimateGaijin" wrote in message
Is there a particular way to NOT have the first line of a first/new page
indented?

I've been ready and experimenting but I always end up the first word of a
new page indented. I'd like it to look something like,

***** ********** * ******** **** ******** *. ******** **** ** *******.
********* **** *** ******* .
*****, ************ ********* ********. *********** ********* ******
***. ***********.
I don't know the name of the rule, but most stuff i read has the first
paragraph of a new page not intented

I hope you can understand that.
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
UltimateGaijin UltimateGaijin is offline

Thanks for the replies, i relize i could have put it better. What i have
noticed is that in most/all ducuments the first paragraph is NOT indented but
all subsequent ones are. I dont know them name of this rule but it seems to
be the norm.

If i set indentation all paragraphs are indented, including the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As Suzanne wrote, you will have to use a different, unindented style for the
first paragraph of text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"UltimateGaijin" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies, i relize i could have put it better. What i have
noticed is that in most/all ducuments the first paragraph is NOT indented
but
all subsequent ones are. I dont know them name of this rule but it seems
be the norm.

If i set indentation all paragraphs are indented, including the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As Suzanne wrote, you will have to use a different, unindented style for the
first paragraph of text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks. I always assumed there must be some way of setting this as a
standard template as it's so ubiquitous
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm still having a hard time understanding what you think is ubiquitous.
When paragraphs have a first-line indent, it is conventional for the first
paragraph on a page to be indented as well unless it starts a new section.
If it is a continuation of the last paragraph on the previous page, then it
should not be broken across the pages, which would happen only if a manual
page break or section break (or paragraph break) were breaking it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As Suzanne wrote, you will have to use a different, unindented style for
the
first paragraph of text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks. I always assumed there must be some way of setting this as a
standard template as it's so ubiquitous

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alborg alborg is offline

Hi Stefan:

What I don't understand is what is wrong with simply setting the "Normal"
style and setting to not indent the first paragraph only? Word does have this
feature, and as such would be the ideal way to handle this problem (read my
original note on how to arrive at that setting).

Cheers,
Al

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As Suzanne wrote, you will have to use a different, unindented style for the
first paragraph of text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"UltimateGaijin" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies, i relize i could have put it better. What i have
noticed is that in most/all ducuments the first paragraph is NOT indented
but
all subsequent ones are. I dont know them name of this rule but it seems
be the norm.

If i set indentation all paragraphs are indented, including the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you are suggesting applying direct formatting to given paragraphs in the
same style, then the reason for not doing it is that it makes a less easily
maintained document. The whole reason for having different styles is to
apply different formatting. And for complex documents such as books, the
Normal style will usually be avoided, anyway, with variations of Body Text
preferred.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As Suzanne wrote, you will have to use a different, unindented style for
the
first paragraph of text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"UltimateGaijin" wrote in
message

basic word question JS Page Layout 1 March 8th 08 10:03 PM
Basic Question about Comments Rhino New Users 2 June 18th 06 01:03 AM
Basic Mail Merge Question Rhino New Users 5 June 18th 06 01:03 AM
Basic Binder question Mike Barnard Microsoft Word Help 1 October 26th 05 02:18 PM
Basic question for today.... Mark Microsoft Word Help 3 July 4th 05 08:52 AM