Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default change characters on keys in Word 2003

A very odd problem developed lately as I type in Word 2003. When I am working
on an old manuscript file to update it, after a while, some of the
punctuation keys shift, for example the - key becomes a [ key, and the " key
becomes a ( key, and so forth. This seems to reset Word for all new files as
well, not just the old one I was working on. The only way to get the keys
back to normal is to exit Word, and then come back in. I only use one
add-in,"save reminder", and it has never done this before. Any ideas what
could be causing this strange key behavior? thanks, Joe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are you saying it only happens when working on that one manuscript? If so, I
suggest opening the manuscript, select it all (Ctrl+A) and then use Tools,
Language, Set Language and make sure that it is set to your local default
and that the Automatically detect Language is deselected.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

t.com wrote in message
A very odd problem developed lately as I type in Word 2003. When I am
working
on an old manuscript file to update it, after a while, some of the
punctuation keys shift, for example the - key becomes a [ key, and the "
key
becomes a ( key, and so forth. This seems to reset Word for all new files
as
well, not just the old one I was working on. The only way to get the keys
back to normal is to exit Word, and then come back in. I only use one
add-in,"save reminder", and it has never done this before. Any ideas what
could be causing this strange key behavior? thanks, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Hi, thanks. I have done that. At the top of the languages, two are currently
checked, English and Spanish. I do not want Spanish to be checked, but
rechecking English still leaves it,English, and Spanish checked at the top.
How do I get rid of Spanish and get it back down into the alphabetical list?
Thanks.
\

Also, yesterday, when I went into a new blank page, document, it still was
doing the key changes.... in that blank document. I had the other older
document into another file view, first, however. Then switched to a new
document with same problems. I will try your change today and see what
happens.... best, Joe

t.com wrote in message
A very odd problem developed lately as I type in Word 2003. When I am
working
on an old manuscript file to update it, after a while, some of the
punctuation keys shift, for example the - key becomes a [ key, and the "
key
becomes a ( key, and so forth. This seems to reset Word for all new files
as
well, not just the old one I was working on. The only way to get the keys
back to normal is to exit Word, and then come back in. I only use one
add-in,"save reminder", and it has never done this before. Any ideas what
could be causing this strange key behavior? thanks, Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

First, go into the Windows Control Panel, Regional settings tab and make
sure that it is all set to English.

Then go to Start, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office Tools, Microsoft Office
Languages and deselect all except English (which should be the default.

Now open Word and check under Tools, Languages again. Has Spanish been
banished? Is English now the default with the Automatically Check Languages
cleared?

Terry

"