Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
maryliz maryliz is offline

Default Justification problem

I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other times, that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is addressed in one of the Caveats in my article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm. When you use a style
separator (or hidden paragraph) to create a run-in side head, "If your Body
Text style is justified, your heading style must also be justified, or else
the first line of your paragraph will not be justified."

"maryliz" wrote in message
I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the
right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other times,
that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes. The problem is the style separator. For purposes of that first line,
Word is using the justification associated with the heading style rather
than the style for the balance of the paragraph... but as you say, only
sometimes. This looks like a bug to me, since a) it doesn't happen all the
time and b) it's hard to picture this as the intended behavior.

If the headings being used will always be used in-line in that way with a
style separator, you can solve the problem by turning on justification for
that particular heading style.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"maryliz" wrote in message
I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the
right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other times,
that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
maryliz maryliz is offline

Suzanne, what in the world would I do without you! I read every word you
write.

Thanks a million.

"maryliz" wrote in message
I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the
right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other times,
that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
maryliz maryliz is offline

Thanks so much Herb! It's so comforting to know that you and your fellow
MVP's always come through. I don't know how you do it, but I'm awfully happy
that you do!

"maryliz" wrote in message
I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the
right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other times,
that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, thanks for the kind words, but it you really read every word I write,
you probably read a lot of silly words!

"maryliz" wrote in message
I came across a document to edit today at work that has me puzzled.

There are instances in certain paragraphs when all of the lines on the
right
are justified except the very first line.

That happens when the last two words on the first line are a short word
followed by a long word; i.e., "the documentation." At all other
times,
that
has never been a problem. Word just handles it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that at the
beginning
of the troublesome first line in each such paragraph there is a heading
followed by a style separator for purposes of the TOC.

What on earth could be the problem? I absolutely love and learn from
your
discussion group every day! Thanks you!

Convert .doc or .rtf to .txt and keep right justification? Peppy Page Layout 2 June 16th 07 10:48 AM
Left and Right Justification Problem - Word 2003 windsong Microsoft Word Help 2 October 26th 05 02:58 PM
Justification gilbertaue Microsoft Word Help 1 June 5th 05 04:35 PM
Justification IMD Page Layout 1 March 10th 05 10:06 PM
justification Nelson Moffat Microsoft Word Help 4 November 29th 04 08:05 PM