Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
maggie maggie is offline

Default Restrict Importing Style

I edit large technical documents that have many authors. The authors
often use a cut and paste method when writing. I'm using Word 2003.
The authors do not use a consistant version of MS Word. For example,
some use 2000 and even 1998.

All of the documents I edit use styles I've created and protected in
the document. My problem is that, because of the various versions of
Word, authors using earlier versons than 2003 can not work in the
protected 2003 document. If I don't protect the document, it imports
styles from other Word documents which creates problems with the
format of the document.

Can you help me with this problem? Other than every author using Word
2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

It sure would be best if everyone could standardize on the same version -
I'm surprised that this is the only problem that's come of such a wide
variety being in use... Especially since '98 was Mac version:-)

Have you tried educating the users to employ Edit Paste Special
Unformatted Text? The pasted text takes on the formatting of what it's being
pasted into rather than retaining its own formatting or Style. I'm pretty
sure it has been available in all the versions you mentioned.

You might find this macro useful as a model - although I'm sure there may be
someone along with a more elegant solution.

Sub PasteUnformatted()

'

' PasteUnformatted Macro

'

Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:= _

wdFloatOverText, DisplayAsIcon:=False

End Sub

Regards |:)
Bob Jones