Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Frustrated! Frustrated! is offline

Default Word and letterhead...HELP!

I scanned a copy of our letterhead and made it a word document. What do I do
so that everyone in the office can use it as a template to type and print
letters?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wombat Wombat is offline

Hi
Try this:
make the template, do a Save As but choose a .dot option from the file
types, save it as header.dot file, this will open a place where templates are
saved somewhere in the bowels of application data.
Go into the template folder (remember where it was?) and delete the
normal.dot file and rename yours normal.dot.
(You cannot delete the normal.dot file if it is being used.)
When you open word it should use this template.
Repeat on your other computers.
You can recover the original normal.dot by deleting yours, Word will create
another the next time you open the program.

I'm sure there is a really neat way of jiggering this but I'm buggered if I
know how.

Yours Wombat

"Frustrated!" wrote:

I scanned a copy of our letterhead and made it a word document. What do I do
so that everyone in the office can use it as a template to type and print
letters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Very poor advice. You cannot create Normal.dot; only Word can do that.
Moreover, we never advice users to delete Normal.dot (which destroys all
customizations) but only to rename it.

Moreover, a letterhead scanned as a graphic will not be usable as a template
without further work.