Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
faerie_bel faerie_bel is offline

Default Outline numbering - multiple levels on single line?

Hi all. Hoping someone can help or point me to a tutorial.

Am running Word 2003, XP.

I need to do some complex numbering in a large-ish document and I want to
streamline the work as much as possible. I've dabbled in Styles and
Formatting, and Outline Numbering but I'm having a hard time getting it to
work.

I basically want to be able to set out a series of exam questions with a
heirarchy a bit like this:
1. (a) (i)
(ii)

(b)

2. (a)
(b)
(c) (i)
(ii)
etc

I'd like the all the numbering elements (numbers, letters and roman
numerals) to left align in a set position. Problem is that some questions
will have parts (i), (ii) while others won't. Some questions might not even
have (a), (b) etc.

Can Word's outline numbering solve my problem?

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Set up numbering as explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, and then
add numbering by applying the appropriate paragraph style to text.

If you want more than one outline level on the same text line (as indicated
by your example), you can apply the appropriate style for the first
(left-most) number, and then insert the others as LISTNUM fields.

To add a LISTNUM field, you can use Insert | Reference | Field. Dont' choose
a "List name," but specify the desired "Level in the list." When you are
done, click OK.

Note that in order to change the numbering level of an inserted LISTNUM
field, you can right-click it and choose Increase Indent / Decrease Indent
from the context menu.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"faerie_bel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
faerie_bel faerie_bel is offline

Thank you very much Stefan! I'm 99% of the way there.

I'm just having a problem saving more than one ListNum field. I followed
yours and Shauna Kelly's instructions with setting up the Customize Outline
Numbering List dialog. But when I press OK to leave, it only seems to save
one ListNum that I named, rather than one each for Level 1, Level 2 and Level
3.

So I'm stuck! Thanks in advance...

"faerie_bel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The list name is for the whole outline-numbered list (that is, for all
levels). To specify a particular list level in a LISTNUM field, use the \L
switch (or Increase Indent / Decrease Indent as I suggested in my previous
message).

Note, however, that if you are using LISTNUM fields within outline-numbered
paragraphs only, you shouldn't have to make use of list names at all.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP