Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dunn Dunn is offline

Default Grid in Word 2007

Is there a way to shut off the grid snap on word 2007? I see that I can
turn off the snap to other objects, but no turn off snap to grid. I want to
use the grid as a guide (ie. 3 1/2" x 2" business card exercise) and not
have objects snap to anything.
Any ideas?
Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Ray,

Using Page Layout=Arrance=Align=Grid settings, the displayed gridlines can be at intervals that differ from the 'Grid settings'.
'Grid settings' determines the snap to increments, while 'Show Grid' determines how many 'snap' increments to skip between visual
display lines.

For example, if you choose 'Grid Settings' of 0.5" horizontal and 0.5" vertical, turn off 'Grid Origins=Use Margins, and set 'Show
grid to a value of '2'. You should see grids at 1" increments.

The 'snap objects to other objects' choice includes a grid increment as an 'object'. The bottom choice in the dialog
'Snap objects to grid when gridlines are not displayed'
determines when the 'Object Snapping' choice is in effect.

You can turn the grids on and off without going back to the 'Drawing Grids' dialog, and you temporarily reverse the snap/no-snap
behavior by holding the alt key when dragging.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It would be simpler to use the appropriate business card label format to
setup your cards rather than reinvent the wheel.
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm You can then show (or not) the
table gridlines.