Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Default Formatting an inserted database field

Using Word 2003, I have a mail merge which also has an inserted database (by
using Insert/Field/Database, browsing to the database, and inserting the
conditional database as a field excluding formatting). This database is
used to generate a telephone number dependant on data in the main database
(and I have to do it this way, unfortunately!!!!).

So, I have an inserted field which produces a result and displays on the
document. All working fine except; I can't seem to apply any formatting to
the field (all I want in this instance is to make the result bold). Teh
field is embedded in a few IF commands, and I've replaced * Mergeformat with
* Charformat wherever I could find them, all to no avail.

Any ideas on how to make the formatting stick once the mail merge ins run
would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Have you applied Bold formatting to the first character of the field to
which you have applied the charformat switch?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, I have a mail merge which also has an inserted database
(by using Insert/Field/Database, browsing to the database, and inserting
the conditional database as a field excluding formatting). This database
is used to generate a telephone number dependant on data in the main
database (and I have to do it this way, unfortunately!!!!).

So, I have an inserted field which produces a result and displays on the
document. All working fine except; I can't seem to apply any formatting
to the field (all I want in this instance is to make the result bold).
Teh field is embedded in a few IF commands, and I've replaced *
Mergeformat with * Charformat wherever I could find them, all to no avail.

Any ideas on how to make the formatting stick once the mail merge ins run
would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Yes I have. Weirdly, when "Toggle Field Codes" is carried out on the field,
the toggled codes are in bold, and I've re-applied bold many, many times to
the toggled codes and the field when it's not toggled, however when the mail
merge is run, it loses the formatting.

I'm attaching (hopefully!) a jpg with the toggled code, in the hope that it
may assist. The field BED.TEL" is in the main database, the rest of the
code is looking at a small separate database.

Any further advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, I have a mail merge which also has an inserted database
(by using Insert/Field/Database, browsing to the database, and inserting
the conditional database as a field excluding formatting). This database
is used to generate a telephone number dependant on data in the main
database (and I have to do it this way, unfortunately!!!!).

So, I have an inserted field which produces a result and displays on the
document. All working fine except; I can't seem to apply any formatting
to the field (all I want in this instance is to make the result bold).
Teh field is embedded in a few IF commands, and I've replaced *
Mergeformat with * Charformat wherever I could find them, all to no
avail.

Any ideas on how to make the formatting stick once the mail merge ins run
would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Sorry, meant field "BED.DIVISION", ignore reference to "BED.TEL" in
earlier post.

Any assistance would really be greatly appreciated.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When I looked at your screenshot, there was no \*Charformat switch at
the end of the { DATABASE } field. What Doug was saying is that you need
that switch /and/ to apply bold formatting to the D of the DATABASE
field (or the whole field, if you like)

It works OK here but I wouldn't want to predict what happens if your
table flows over more than one page.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Duh. Yes, of course, applying *\ CHARFORMAT to the {Database} field is the
answer, can't believe I overlooked that, not enough coffee obviously.
Unfortunately for me though, it's thrown up a weird knock on effect.

Following population of the mailmerge, the field populated and aligned as
normal UNTIL I applied the *\ CHARFORMAT to the {Database} field in the
master document. Once this is completed, the formatting does indeed change
to Bold, however a hard carriage return is also appearing before the field,
so the field is now misaligning.

I have analysed the document, and after the merge is completed have
discovered the following:

1. When viewing the document without Show/Hide formatting selected (and
before CHARFORMAT is applied to the field in the master document), all looks
fine.
2. When viewing the document with Show/Hide Formatting selected (and before
CHARFORMAT is applied to the field in the master document), there is a
carriage return before the field (this disappears again once the Show/Hide
Formatting is turned off, and the document also prints correctly. I am
unable to manually delete the carriage return. This is puzzling me
greatly).
3. Once the CHARFORMAT is applied to the field, the carriage return appears
in the merged document, and the document misaligns.

So, to summarise, a carriage return is somehow magically creeping in, but
while there, doesn't cause the document to look/print incorrectly unless
CHARFORMAT is applied to the field.

Don't think coffee is going to help me on this, any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Replying to my own post below, I used \* MERGEFORMAT instead, which sorted
the issue. I now have it working, and am refusing to ever look at the
cursed code ever, ever, ever again.

Thanks for all the help, it is very useful & much appreciated.

"Xanbaby" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

and am refusing to ever look at the
cursed code ever, ever, ever again.

Can't say I blame you. Microsoft made a change to the behaviour of
DATABASE fields at some point which does cause an unhelpful extra
paragraph to be inserted, but perhaps \*Charformat introduces another
wrinkle I hadn't previously encountered, so thanks for posting back.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

Aarrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

Can get the code to work as long as it isn't enclosed in IF commands. Looks
like some interaction between the IF commands and the Insert Database. Will
keep going, but at least I'm getting consistent results, which makes me feel
it may just need a tweak. Only have to find it. Or go insane in the
attempt.......

Will post back when I am successful, or have given up.

wrote in message
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Xanbaby Xanbaby is offline

I believe my final solution is to give up. Cannot get this cursed code to
stop inserting unnecessary and unwanted Carriage Returns. Am going back to
less elegant but works plan A (inserted documents, bookmarks and {Ref}
fields). So much for improving & simplifying documents.

Thanks for the feedback.