Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Plebless Plebless is offline

Default Mailmerge Japanese and Greek names & addresses in to an english le

Hi,

I need to mailmerge Japanese and Greek names and addresses in to an english
letter but when I do the Japanese and Greek names display in question marks
i.e. ???????? because it does not recognise the language in an english letter.

I have installed ms ui gothic - japanese font but the problem still occurs.

Have you any suggestions?

Please can you help.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I cannot speak for Japanese, but Greek names should not be a problem
provided you use a font with the extended character set that includes Greek.
Certainly the Greek names I have in my Outlook Contacts list merge
correctly. (I do have Engliosh and Greek languages set up in Windows.) What
is your data source?

For it to work also with Japanese names too I would imagine that the font
would also have to include English and Japanese characters. Thinking out
loud, you may be able to conditionally merge the Japanese names, provided
there is some easy way of identifying which records include them eg {IF
{Mergefield Identifier} = "Japanese" "{Mergefield Name \*Charformat}"
"{Mergefield Name \*Charformat}"} and format the first name field with the
Japanese font and the other with the English font with the extended
character set that has Greek characters, but I haven't tested it.

Plebless wrote:
Hi,

I need to mailmerge Japanese and Greek names and addresses in to an
english letter but when I do the Japanese and Greek names display in
question marks i.e. ???????? because it does not recognise the
language in an english letter.

I have installed ms ui gothic - japanese font but the problem still
occurs.

Have you any suggestions?

Please can you help.

Thanks!