Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tammy tammy is offline

Default Word 2007 - mail merge filter not displaying unique choices

Hi - I am trying to do an email mail merge through Word 2007. My data source
is an Excel file.

I'd like to filter the list of recipients so that only a specific group
receives the email - pretty easy stuff. The problem is that, in the Mail
Merge Recipients dialog box, when I click the column heading down arrow to
choose what I'd like to filter, there are no choices. I can see the usual
choices of: All, Blanks, Nonblanks, and Advanced - just not the values from
the column in the Excel file. The column does contain different data (for
example - the states of NY, NH, CT, etc), just not sure why I can't see them
in the list to filter. I hope I have explained that well enough - any
suggestions on why Word would not display the choices? Thanks so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not sure what is going on there because when I create such a datasource
(*.xslx) and attach it to a mail merge main document and then click on the
State pulldown, I see

Sort Ascending
Sord Descending
(All)
(CA)
(VA)
(NY)
etc.
(Blanks)
(Nonblanks)
(Advanced...)

If you want to send me a copy of the data source, I will take a look and see
if I can see what is causing the problem.

--
Hope this helps

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid, professional basis.

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - I am trying to do an email mail merge through Word 2007. My data
source
is an Excel file.

I'd like to filter the list of recipients so that only a specific group
receives the email - pretty easy stuff. The problem is that, in the Mail
Merge Recipients dialog box, when I click the column heading down arrow to
choose what I'd like to filter, there are no choices. I can see the usual
choices of: All, Blanks, Nonblanks, and Advanced - just not the values
from
the column in the Excel file. The column does contain different data (for
example - the states of NY, NH, CT, etc), just not sure why I can't see
them
in the list to filter. I hope I have explained that well enough - any
suggestions on why Word would not display the choices? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As a workaround, can you make the choice you need by clicking
Advanced... and entering the condition manually? Or does that also fail
to apply the filter?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

On 20/10/2009 22:03, Tammy wrote:
Hi - I am trying to do an email mail merge through Word 2007. My data source
is an Excel file.

I'd like to filter the list of recipients so that only a specific group
receives the email - pretty easy stuff. The problem is that, in the Mail
Merge Recipients dialog box, when I click the column heading down arrow to
choose what I'd like to filter, there are no choices. I can see the usual
choices of: All, Blanks, Nonblanks, and Advanced - just not the values from
the column in the Excel file. The column does contain different data (for
example - the states of NY, NH, CT, etc), just not sure why I can't see them
in the list to filter. I hope I have explained that well enough - any
suggestions on why Word would not display the choices? Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tammy tammy is offline

Hello Doug! Thanks for responding! I didn't get an email showing anyone
responded, so didn't see this until today. I would LOVE to send you a copy of
the file, however, my user will not give it up. I am beginning to suspect a
bug in the file, as every time I create a new list, I have no problems at all
seeing my choices. I am having my user use the advanced filter, as Peter
noted was a work-around, and he is able to display the correct records. I
truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my post and your offer to look
at the file for me. Thanks so much.

"Tammy" wrote in message
Hi - I am trying to do an email mail merge through Word 2007. My data
source
is an Excel file.

I'd like to filter the list of recipients so that only a specific group
receives the email - pretty easy stuff. The problem is that, in the Mail
Merge Recipients dialog box, when I click the column heading down arrow to
choose what I'd like to filter, there are no choices. I can see the usual
choices of: All, Blanks, Nonblanks, and Advanced - just not the values
from
the column in the Excel file. The column does contain different data (for
example - the states of NY, NH, CT, etc), just not sure why I can't see
them
in the list to filter. I hope I have explained that well enough - any
suggestions on why Word would not display the choices? Thanks so much!

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tammy tammy is offline

Hi Peter - Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. As a
workaround, that is exactly what I am having my user do, as he is able to
display the correct records using the advanced filter. I am not convinced
this is a problem in Word, but in his data source. Nothing glaringly obvious
sticks out, though, and the files does seem to be set up correctly. Could be
the file is corrupt, as every other time we try, using a different file, we
are able to see our choices. Thanks again for your response!

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

AFAICR, Word (2007) will not display /any/ individual values in the
drop-down list once there are over 10 different values in the list. I do
not know whether this is a hard-and-fast rule or whether other factors
are involved, but I imagine the design thinking (if any) is that they
wanted to limit the length of the list, but if individual values were
listed then it might be misleading for a user to see only 10 values when
there were actually more in the list.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tammy tammy is offline

Wow! That is a very handy piece of information! I do believe my user's file
could have contained more than 10 different values in his various columns.
That's a fact I'll always remember now. Thank you very much for posting
again. I really appreciate it!