Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ACK ACK is offline

Default Merge field into a continuous paragraph

How can I merge a field into a continuous paragraph using Office 2007? I have
a spreadsheet with a list of names in Column A. I would like my merge to flow
as a single paragraph on 8.5" x 11" sheet that automatically continues onto
the next line. Listing the data in columns is not a viable option for me in
this case. Basically, I want something that looks like this:

Name 1 — Name 2 — Name 3 — Name 4 — Name 5
Name 6 — Name 7 — Name 8 — Name 9 — Name 10
....etc

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The only way that I know of to do it would be to use a Directory type mail
merge main document in which you have nothing but the one mergefield. When
you execute that to a new document, you will get

Name 1ΒΆ
Name 2ΒΆ
Name 3ΒΆ
etc

where the ΒΆ is a carriage return.

Then you can use EditReplace to replace ^p with — or whatever it is that
you want to separate the names.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"ACK" wrote in message
How can I merge a field into a continuous paragraph using Office 2007? I
have
a spreadsheet with a list of names in Column A. I would like my merge to
flow
as a single paragraph on 8.5" x 11" sheet that automatically continues
onto
the next line. Listing the data in columns is not a viable option for me
in
this case. Basically, I want something that looks like this:

Name 1 — Name 2 — Name 3 — Name 4 — Name 5
Name 6 — Name 7 — Name 8 — Name 9 — Name 10
...etc

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ACK ACK is offline

I sort of found a way to make this work...

I did used the directory option and then merged my field into a single
column with a line break like this:

Name —
Next Record

Then merged to a new document. Then, used Find/Replace to replace all of the
line breaks with a space instead.

"ACK" wrote:

How can I merge a field into a continuous paragraph using Office 2007? I have
a spreadsheet with a list of names in Column A. I would like my merge to flow
as a single paragraph on 8.5" x 11" sheet that automatically continues onto
the next line. Listing the data in columns is not a viable option for me in
this case. Basically, I want something that looks like this:

Name 1 — Name 2 — Name 3 — Name 4 — Name 5
Name 6 — Name 7 — Name 8 — Name 9 — Name 10
...etc

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

AFAICS, a directory merge with nothing except that one field and the
unavoidable paragraph mark should in fact do

Name 1Name 2Name 3etc

so your idea should work for the OP without any Edit-Replace step,
unless something goes wrong when too much stuff is merged into a single
paragraph (and that would likely happen after the edit-replace as well).

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv

On 27/10/2009 19:26, Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
The only way that I know of to do it would be to use a Directory type
mail merge main document in which you have nothing but the one
mergefield. When you execute that to a new document, you will get

Name 1ΒΆ
Name 2ΒΆ
Name 3ΒΆ
etc

where the ΒΆ is a carriage return.

Then you can use EditReplace to replace ^p with — or whatever it is
that you want to separate the names.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You don't need the Next Record with a directory type mail merge. As
Peter points out, all you need in the mail merge main document is:

Name ? Ά

Click on the Show/Hide button (Ά) to make sure that you have nothing else in
the document.

--
Hope this helps

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to avail yourself of my
services on a paid, professional basis.

"ACK" wrote:

How can I merge a field into a continuous paragraph using Office 2007? I
have
a spreadsheet with a list of names in Column A. I would like my merge to
flow
as a single paragraph on 8.5" x 11" sheet that automatically continues
onto
the next line. Listing the data in columns is not a viable option for me
in
this case. Basically, I want something that looks like this:

Name 1 ? Name 2 ? Name 3 ? Name 4 ? Name 5
Name 6 ? Name 7 ? Name 8 ? Name 9 ? Name 10
...etc

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ACK ACK is offline

You don't need the Next Record with a directory type mail merge. As
Peter points out, all you need in the mail merge main document is: Name ? ΒΆ

Hi Doug. When I tried this approach, the merge stopped after a single line.
Something like this...

Name 1 — Name 2 — Name 3 — Na

I wonder if this could have anythign to do with the known Merge bug that
exists on a Tablet PC?

Anyway, the EditReplace ^p with — worked fine enough for me.

Thanks!

Click on the Show/Hide button (ΒΆ) to make sure that you have nothing else in
the document.

--

.