Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PT[_3_] PT[_3_] is offline

Default Two unrelated questions

Two unrelated questions – Word 2003, WinXP Home

1. Right now, when I fire up Word, it opens empty, and I have to
click on “new” to open a blank page. I assume this has to do with
normal.dot, but I'm not sure how to make the change.

2. I frequently open an article in the IE browser, and wish to convert
the text to a Word document. To date, I highlight the desired text,
then click Ctrl-C to copy it, open Word to a blank page and click Ctrl-
V to paste the text.

Is there a way to create a virtual Word printer, so that after
highlighting the desired text, I could simply click ctrl-p to print,
and select the “Word Printer”?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Usually, to open Word to 'nothing', it is necessary to edit the Startup
command line by adding the /n switch. I would check to see if the shortcut
that you are using to launch Word has been edited that way.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"PT" wrote in message
Two unrelated questions – Word 2003, WinXP Home

1. Right now, when I fire up Word, it opens empty, and I have to
click on “new” to open a blank page. I assume this has to do with
normal.dot, but I'm not sure how to make the change.

2. I frequently open an article in the IE browser, and wish to convert
the text to a Word document. To date, I highlight the desired text,
then click Ctrl-C to copy it, open Word to a blank page and click Ctrl-
V to paste the text.

Is there a way to create a virtual Word printer, so that after
highlighting the desired text, I could simply click ctrl-p to print,
and select the “Word Printer”?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PT[_3_] PT[_3_] is offline

On Nov 27, 2:09*pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Usually, to open Word to 'nothing', it is necessary to edit the Startup
command line by adding the /n switch. I would check to see if the shortcut
that you are using to launch Word has been edited that way.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"PT" wrote in message

Thansks so much.
You were correct.
I removed the /n and Word opens with a new blank page.

Any ideas on question # 2 in the OP?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PT[_3_] PT[_3_] is offline

On Nov 27, 2:09*pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Usually, to open Word to 'nothing', it is necessary to edit the Startup
command line by adding the /n switch. I would check to see if the shortcut
that you are using to launch Word has been edited that way.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Maybe I spoke too soon. Now, although Word opens with a blank
document, the right hand section of the screen is now occupied by a
band of items including “Getting Started”, “Office Online”, and a list
of recently opened documents.

I closed it and it disappears, but reappears each time I start up
Word.

Any further suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There should be a check box to select whether or not to display the task
pane on opening. If this doesn't work for you, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm. Note that the
sole purpose of the TaskPaneController add-in is to run a macro to perform
the necessary Registry edit. After the macro is run, the add-in can and
should be removed from the Startup folder because it may cause a problem (a
message about SQL on starting Word).

http://word.mvps.org

"PT" wrote in message
On Nov 27, 2:09 pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Usually, to open Word to 'nothing', it is necessary to edit the Startup
command line by adding the /n switch. I would check to see if the shortcut
that you are using to launch Word has been edited that way.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Maybe I spoke too soon. Now, although Word opens with a blank
document, the right hand section of the screen is now occupied by a
band of items including “Getting Started”, “Office Online”, and a list
of recently opened documents.

I closed it and it disappears, but reappears each time I start up
Word.

Any further suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What is a 'virtual Word printer'? I'm at a loss to understand Q.2. Don't you
have a printer and if not, how can you print to something that isn't there?
Or do you mean Print to File?

Terry

"PT" wrote in message

Thansks so much.
You were correct.
I removed the /n and Word opens with a new blank page.

Any ideas on question # 2 in the OP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can print directly from IE - in the Print dialog, check 'Selection' to
print selected text.