Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
uzidengineer uzidengineer is offline

Default Dcuments that WORD "remembers"

Hi,

In WORD, when one selects "files" from the menu
the last four (4) documents are displayed.

Is there a way to change this default to, say,
six (6) documents. I know that Word Perfect does.

Any advice?
Uzi,.12/10/09

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Go to Tools Options, General, change the "Recently used file list" from 4 to
9 (max).
This is for 2003 and prior.
2007 Microsoft Office Button to display the Office menu, General, I believe
you can a greater number on show.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"uzidengineer" wrote:

Hi,

In WORD, when one selects "files" from the menu
the last four (4) documents are displayed.

Is there a way to change this default to, say,
six (6) documents. I know that Word Perfect does.

Any advice?
Uzi,.12/10/09

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Documents that WORD "remembers"

In Word 2007 onwards you can increase it to 50 - but check that you can see
50 on screen: if not, reduce it to the maximum that can fit, otherwise it is
a bit of a waste of time. Note that you can PIN up to 10 documents on the
MRU so that they stay resident at the top of the list.

Note that in Windows 7, the top 10 MRU files can be seen if you right-click
the Word icon in the Taskbar, so you can launch straight into a current
document. This is useful if say you are currently working on several
document which you have pinned to the MRU.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"uzidengineer" wrote in message
Hi,

In WORD, when one selects "files" from the menu
the last four (4) documents are displayed.

Is there a way to change this default to, say,
six (6) documents. I know that Word Perfect does.

Any advice?
Uzi,.12/10/09

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DG DG is offline

I'm using Word 2007. The documents I pin are not staying at the top of the
list, they are mixed in with other documents I have opened. I have it set to
save the last 20 documents in my list. They don't fall off the list if they
get to the bottom, they just aren't staying resident at the top as you
state. Is there another setting I'm missing to make the pinned documents
stay at the top, 1 thru 10?

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Pinned documents simply remain in the lost rather than drop off at the
bottom. They are not sorted. There is no built-in function to move the
pinned items to the top of the list but it can be done using a macro to read
and write the revised registry entries. The problem with that is that Word
must be closed and re-opened to read the registry changes. The following
macro will do all that, but re-opening Word will have to be done manually,
if the macro is run from Word, as the macro stops when Word is closed.

Ensure that you save the normal template with the macro *before* running it,
or the normal template will become the new first item in the list, whether
or not it is pinned.

The macro first closes any open documents (giving the opportunity to save)
reads the registry entries associated with the recent file list and writes
them to a temporary document before deleting them from the list. That
document is sorted to put the pinned items first. The registry entries are
then re-written in the new order, the temporary document is closed and Word
is closed. When Word is re-opened the recent file list reflects the new
order from the registry.

Sub SortRecentFileList()
Dim oDoc As Document
Dim rNewKey As Range
Dim rFile As RecentFile
Dim i As Long
Dim WSHShell, RegKey, rKeyWord
If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If
Set oDoc = Documents.Add
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
RegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\ Word\File MRU\"
For Each rFile In RecentFiles
rKeyWord = WSHShell.RegRead(RegKey & "Item " & rFile.Index)
oDoc.Range.InsertAfter rKeyWord & vbCr
rFile.Delete
Next rFile
With oDoc
.Paragraphs.Last.Range.Delete
.Range.Sort ExcludeHeader:=False, _
FieldNumber:="Paragraphs", _
SortFieldType:=wdSortFieldAlphanumeric, _
SortOrder:=wdSortOrderDescending
For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
Set rNewKey = .Paragraphs(i).Range
rNewKey.End = rNewKey.End - 1
WSHShell.RegWrite RegKey & "Item " & i, rNewKey.Text
Next i
.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End With
Application.Quit
End Sub

You might find it more useful to simply delete the unpinned items from the
list. The following macro does that and does not require Word to be
restarted:

Sub ClearUnpinned()
'Clear recent file list leaving the pinned items
Dim rFile As RecentFile
Dim WSHShell, RegKey, rKeyWord
Set WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
RegKey = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\ Word\File MRU\"
For Each rFile In RecentFiles
rKeyWord = WSHShell.RegRead(RegKey & "Item " & rFile.Index)
Select Case Mid(rKeyWord, 10, 1)
Case Is = 0, 2
rFile.Delete
End Select
Next rFile
MsgBox "Recent file list is cleared," & vbCr & _
"retaining the pinned items", _
vbInformation, _
"Clear Recent File List"
End Sub

See also http://www.gmayor.com/clear_recently_used_file_list.htm

If you want to selectively delete, then it gets altogether more complicated,
but friend and fellow MVP Greg Maxey has done all the work - see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Recent_Files_List_Editor.htm

"DG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Let me clarify.

If you pin a document to the MRU in WORD, it stays in the Word MRU in a top
section of the MRU with other pinned documents.

The MRU in the Word Icon in the Taskbar is a DIFFERENT MRU - called a Jump
List in Win 7. The pinning has to be done in the jump list. So you can pin
different documents in the Jump list than on the Word MRU.

In Taskbar PropertiesStart Menu tabCustomise button, you can adjust the
number of items remembered in the Jump List.

Sorry about the previous inaccurate description.

Terry