Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David C. Holley David C. Holley is offline

Default Problem with Table Column Not Expanding

I've got text in a table column that extends beyond the visible edge of the
column. It appears that Word 2007 is not actually extending the table as it
should but stops right at the page break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On the Table tab of Table properties, make sure text wrapping is set to
None.

http://word.mvps.org

"David C. Holley" David.C.Holley wrote in message
I've got text in a table column that extends beyond the visible edge of
the column. It appears that Word 2007 is not actually extending the table
as it should but stops right at the page break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David C. Holley David C. Holley is offline

In Word 2007, I didn't see that option under that Table tab, just
'Automatically Resize...', under the Cell tab, I confirmed that both the
'Wrap Text' and 'Fit Text' are unchecked. The text is still isn't displayed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
On the Table tab of Table properties, make sure text wrapping is set to
None.

http://word.mvps.org

"David C. Holley" David.C.Holley wrote in message
I've got text in a table column that extends beyond the visible edge of
the column. It appears that Word 2007 is not actually extending the table
as it should but stops right at the page break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David C. Holley David C. Holley is offline

Nothing changes in the Ribbon when I put the cursor physically in text in
the cell or in text outside of the cell.

Do you mean the menu that appears when I right click?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No. When you place the cursor into a table, the two Table context menus
(Table Tools - DESIGN and LAYOUT) appear, just above the ribbon.
--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David C. Holley David C. Holley is offline

I ended up just drawing a new table, as a result the wrap is no longer
occurring. I will to the day I die, oppose the Ribbon on the grounds that
while it might generally be a good idea for the average user, it still
requires the user to bend to the thinking of the person(s) who decided which
'concepts' the individual commands should fall under. For example, to the
developers, 'Draw Table' and 'Eraser' are 'Design' actions with all of the
other table-related tasks under 'Layout'. To me, 'Draw Table', 'Eraser' and
the tasks under 'Layout' are all table-related tasks and should be grouped
together.

Furthermore, from an implementation standpoint, I would given the user the
choice of using either the Ribbon or the typical File Menu since from a
programming standpoing it doesn't matter the means by which the .exe to told
to execute the command, just what command TO execute.

Enough of my soapbox.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You'll get no argument against that from here! Unfortunately,
misinterpretation of user labs results have left us with this badly
implemented replacement. It gets a little better in O2010.

Terry Farrell

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David C. Holley David C. Holley is offline

I get the concept and don't neccessarily *disagree* with it, but it would be
much better if it *dynamically* altered itself based on the most commonly
used function. I *do not* use styles so having the styles on the HOME tab
does nothing except take up real estate. Same thing for the colors in Excel.

Personally, I'd like a ToolTip function that allows you to 'save' the
command.