Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WebColin70 WebColin70 is offline

Default Any way to change the undo duration in Word 2007?

I posted a similar question about a week ago, but no one answered.

In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by the
button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always just
removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting text.

Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger block
at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works in the
Outlook 2007 e-mail editor (and Live Mail for posting to this newsgroup) and
I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions of Word, unless I
paused for a long time between each character I typed.

Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007?

Thanks,
Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That is not the way that undo works in 2007 here.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"WebColin70" wrote in message
news
I posted a similar question about a week ago, but no one answered.

In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by the
button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always just
removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting text.

Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger block
at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works in the
Outlook 2007 e-mail editor (and Live Mail for posting to this newsgroup)
and I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions of Word,
unless I paused for a long time between each character I typed.

Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007?

Thanks,
Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WebColin70 WebColin70 is offline

On further investigation, I think it relates to the setting in the Keyboard
control panel, at least in Vista (all updates and SP's applied) -- if that's
set to the minimum delay between keypresses, it changes how Undo works in
Word. It does not change how Undo works in Outlook, Live Mail, or any other
application.

I think this qualifies as a bug in Word 2007, if others can reproduce it.

Just go to Start | Control Panel | Keyboard | Speed tab, and set the Repeat
delay all the way to Short (I also happen to have the Repeat rate all the
way to Fast, but I don't think that's related). Then in word, type a few
words. Then hit undo. It will undo a character at a time.

If you then change the Repeat delay to anything longer that Short, Word will
work as expected.

Again, this problem seems limited to Word, even the other Office 2007
applications don't have this problem. At the very least, it's inconsistent.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WebColin70 WebColin70 is offline

Are you saying that Undo still removes whole words or phrases with the
repeat delay set to its minimum setting on your system?

On 2 separate Vista (SP2) computers now, I have confirmed that this changes
the way Word 2007 reacts to Undo. Other programs do not change when changing
this setting, only Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000 SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000)).

[...]

news I posted a similar question about a week ago, but no one answered.

In Word 2007, after typing new or replacement text, Undo (whether by
the button in the Quick Access bar, Ctrl-Z, or Alt-Backspace) always
just removes 1 character at a time, which I find too slow for reverting
text.

Is there a way to change this so Undo removes a word or other larger
block at a time instead of a character at a time? That's how it works
in the Outlook 2007 e-mail editor (and Live Mail for posting to this
newsgroup) and I swear that's how it always worked in previous versions
of Word, unless I paused for a long time between each character I
typed.

Am I right that this is new behavior in Word 2007?

Thanks,
Colin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
WebColin70 WebColin70 is offline

At a minimum, then, at least for some systems, there is interaction between
these settings that is not correct behavior. I still believe this is a bug,
even if it's not experienced by every user or on every system.

I generally work at not installing any fringe software or tinkering with too
many settings (to be fair, changing repeat delay would count as tinkering).
Yet on both my computers, one a Toshiba M400 tablet and one a dual AMD
Opteron desktop (no brand, built from parts), I experienced the exact same
problem. I realize that's not 1,000 systems, but given that it's 100%
reproducible on those systems, seems enough to say it's not just a fluke.

[...]

news On further investigation, I think it relates to the setting in the
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Do you see the same behaviour if you start Word in Safe mode (press and hold
Ctrl while starting Word)?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm wondering if there might be some accessibility option enabled that's
affecting this.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my