Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Top two rows to be heading rows, one keeps turning off

I think I've got some kind of style conflict going on.

I'm trying to create a template for use by a group of
not-very-technical Word users, so I need to make these Word issues as
streamlined as possible for them or they just won't use the template.

I have a table from a previous template that was working fine before.
The top row of the table is shaded 10%, and is designated as Heading
Rows Repeat. I have this table style set up as Table Simple 1 in my
style list. It works, all is well.

Now I need (in a new template) to create a second table style (Table
Simple 2) where the top two rows are both shaded gray and designated as
heading rows.

When I try to do this from within Table Table AutoFormat Modify
Format Table Properties, all I can seem to do is turn the whole table
gray (and concievably I've just make the whole table a heading row...
not what I wanted).

If I try to make the top two rows shaded and Heading Rows Repeat
outside of styles, it doesn't stick. Every time I close the document
and re-enter, it's gone back to the previous state (only the top row is
a heading row).

If anyone could help me out, or direct me to other resources to read,
that would be terrific. Thanks.

Tina the Technical Writer
Beaverton, OR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

When I try to do this from within Table Table AutoFormat Modify
Format Table Properties, all I can seem to do is turn the whole table
gray (and concievably I've just make the whole table a heading row...
not what I wanted).

If I try to make the top two rows shaded and Heading Rows Repeat
outside of styles, it doesn't stick. Every time I close the document
and re-enter, it's gone back to the previous state (only the top row is
a heading row).

You can't set the number of rows that will be repeated in a table as part
of the table style. You can only define how the header row will look, and
whether the first row will repeat.

Make sure you select "Header Row" from the "Apply formatting to" list in
the "Modify" dialog box before you go through Format/Table Properties,
otherwise the entire table will be a "header row".

Once your table style is set up like this, you should be able to select
any number of rows you like, then Table/Heading Rows repeat.

You may want to store a table as an AutoText entry if you want to provide
it with more than one heading row. Or use a macro to create the table,
apply the style, and set the heading rows.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org