Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
pbirn

Default Endnote numbering at section breaks

I want my endnotes to begin at "1" at each section break, but each time I set
it up that way, it does go 1,2,3, for a while but then suddenly "bounces
back" to continue the numbering from the previous section. I don't
understand why this is happening.

Also I find that when I set "Section Break, Next Page," that doesn't remain
for very long. The next time I look it has somehow got mysteriously changed
on its own to "Section Break, Continuous."

Is there some problem?
--
Phyllis
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

"pbirn" wrote in message
I want my endnotes to begin at "1" at each section break, but each
time I set
it up that way, it does go 1,2,3, for a while but then suddenly
"bounces
back" to continue the numbering from the previous section. I don't
understand why this is happening.

Note that Word 2003 (and perhaps also Word 2002) allows you to have
(say) continuous numbering in one section and numbering restarted on
each page in another, you may want to verify that you actually have
the correct settings in all sections.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

On 1/26/06 5:09 AM, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that Word 2003 (and perhaps also Word 2002) allows you to have
(say) continuous numbering in one section and numbering restarted on
each page in another, you may want to verify that you actually have
the correct settings in all sections.

Stefan, have you managed to get per-section endnote settings to work in Word
2003? I thought we had a discussion previously that MS advertised it but it
didn't work?

Don't have Word 2003 to check.

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Currently I'm not at my home computer, so any further testing will
have to wait until next week. But reading my previous message makes me
think that what I tested was in fact *footnote* numbering, not endnote
numbering (if that makes a difference).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On 1/26/06 5:09 AM, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that Word 2003 (and perhaps also Word 2002) allows you to

have
(say) continuous numbering in one section and numbering restarted

on
each page in another, you may want to verify that you actually

have
the correct settings in all sections.

Stefan, have you managed to get per-section endnote settings to work

in Word
2003? I thought we had a discussion previously that MS advertised

it but it
didn't work?

Don't have Word 2003 to check.

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

Whenever you get around to it, I'll be interested to hear. I'm pretty sure
that footnote and endnote numbering are going to behave the same way,
though, so I don't think *that* makes a difference.

On 1/27/06 2:06 AM, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Currently I'm not at my home computer, so any further testing will
have to wait until next week. But reading my previous message makes me
think that what I tested was in fact *footnote* numbering, not endnote
numbering (if that makes a difference).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

I don't know exactly what the problem was in Word 2002, but it doesn't
work well in Word 2003 either. You can certainly have different
numbering styles between sections (say A, B, C,... in section 1 and i,
ii, iii,... in section 2). This is true for footnotes and endnotes.

However, the restarts are obviously wrong or at least confusing. The
following is an example with footnote numbering in a three-section
document:

Section One: Continuous footnote numbering.

1 Footnote in section one.
2 Footnote in section one.
3 Footnote in section one.

Section Two: Footnotes restarts on each new page.
First page:
1 First footnote in section two.
Second page:
1 Second footnote in section two (restarts because it is on a new
page)

Section Three: Continuous footnote numbering.
6 First note in section three.

Apparently, Word counts all of the previous notes, increments by 1 and
therefore the first note is numbered 6. :-(

Of course, it is still possible that the OP's problem was caused by
conflicting Footnote/Endnote settings.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Whenever you get around to it, I'll be interested to hear. I'm

pretty sure
that footnote and endnote numbering are going to behave the same

way,
though, so I don't think *that* makes a difference.

On 1/27/06 2:06 AM, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Currently I'm not at my home computer, so any further testing will
have to wait until next week. But reading my previous message

makes me
think that what I tested was in fact *footnote* numbering, not

endnote
numbering (if that makes a difference).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/