Chris S

Default Chapter and Page numbers

I have my Chapters set up as Heading 1 style (with Chapters numbered A, B, C,
etc), and I have my page numbers set up to show the chapter number and page
number. Thus I end up with pages A-1, B-1, etc.

My client however does not want to have Chapter I or Chapter O, so I need to
"skip" these letters in my Chapter numbering. This is fine for the actual
chapter title as I use "Format Bullets and Numbering" and re-start the
numbering at the next letter. However, my page numbering does not pick up
this change and continues with the previous chapter number - thus Chapter J
ends up with page numbers H-1, H-2 etc.

Can you tell me if it's possible to achieve what I need?

--
Many thanks for your help.
Jezebel

May I tactfully suggest that you think about this from the readers' point of
view? Assuming the reader picks up on how you've numbered your chapters
(given that numbering your chapters A, B, C is unusual and unexpected, to
say the least), they are entitled to expect that you have at least used a
complete alphabetic sequence. Can't you hear them asking: "What the hell's
happened to chapter I ?" Are you going to TELL them that you've left out I
and O? And then add a paragraph explaining why? Perhaps a footnote to your
chapter number?

In all seriousness, people have been *killed* by documentation that does
this sort of thing.

Why not just do things the normal way? Easier for you, easier for your
readers, and your problem would simply disappear.

"Chris S" wrote in message
I have my Chapters set up as Heading 1 style (with Chapters numbered A, B,

C,
etc), and I have my page numbers set up to show the chapter number and

page
number. Thus I end up with pages A-1, B-1, etc.

My client however does not want to have Chapter I or Chapter O, so I need

"skip" these letters in my Chapter numbering. This is fine for the actual
chapter title as I use "Format Bullets and Numbering" and re-start the
numbering at the next letter. However, my page numbering does not pick up
this change and continues with the previous chapter number - thus Chapter

ends up with page numbers H-1, H-2 etc.

Can you tell me if it's possible to achieve what I need?

--
Many thanks for your help.

Chris S

I have no say inthe matter - I have a client who is insisting that it is done
this way. And who am I to argue witha Japanese client??

So....do you know if it is possible or not?

"Chris S" wrote in message
I have my Chapters set up as Heading 1 style (with Chapters numbered A, B,

C,
etc), and I have my page numbers set up to show the chapter number and

page
number. Thus I end up with pages A-1, B-1, etc.

My client however does not want to have Chapter I or Chapter O, so I need

"skip" these letters in my Chapter numbering. This is fine for the actual
chapter title as I use "Format Bullets and Numbering" and re-start the
numbering at the next letter. However, my page numbering does not pick up
this change and continues with the previous chapter number - thus Chapter

ends up with page numbers H-1, H-2 etc.

Can you tell me if it's possible to achieve what I need?

--
Many thanks for your help.

Jezebel

Who are you to argue!? -- You're writing the damned thing! It's *your*
responsibility. Face up to it. Anything is irresponsiblity on your part.

No client wants an unusable document. Either you've misunderstood them, or
they've misunderstood the import of the instructions they gave you. Japanese
clients are better than most. At least they're well educated, unlike most US
managers.