Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Octavee Uhl

Default Styles and endnote problem

Hello,

I have the folowing problem with my 360 page word xp document. It will not
let me use the endnote feature. Word gives the message that the number needs
to be between 1 and some astronomical number. Even when the number would be
1 for the first endnote. When I start with a new document I do not have a
problem. Now I thought just copy part of the document in a new document, and
start fresh with the endnote numbering. This works so far the endnotes are
concerned (when I copy everything but the last page in the new document!?!).
But now I have a style problem. It messes up my styles and I have about 50
styles.
I even tried to copy all styles in the new document (with the organizer).
But when I paste the 360 page document in the new empty document it has
still styles problems.

1. How can I paste without losing my formating?

OR

2. How can I make my endnote formating work without getting the error
message?

Thanks
Octavee

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel

The paste issue: copy everything except the last paragraph mark.

Try copying the styles from the old document to the new AFTER you've copied
the content. Or, if your styles are well organised and you've been
disciplined in applying them, update them in the underlying template, then
attach the new document to that template and check the 'automatically update
styles' checkbox.

As for the endnotes: have you tried resetting the start number so that it
is, in fact, between 1 and the maximum for your endnote number format?