Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
funky Hamsta

Default Formatting data in word label merging, commas into line breaks

When making labels for posting letters, I have a data field in my excel table
which has the address data in the following format:

" Mr A B Bloggs, 12 Nowhere Raod, Somewhere, Shireshire, SN12 4UP. "

How can I point word mail merge at this data field and get it to insert a
line break where it sees a comma? so that there format becomes:

Mr A B Bloggs
12 Nowhere Road
Somewhere
Shireshire
SN12 4UP

Any suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

You cannot do it as part of the mailmerge process.

You should use Edit Replace on the data source to replace all of the
commas with ^p (paragraph returns)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"funky Hamsta" funky wrote in message
When making labels for posting letters, I have a data field in my excel
table
which has the address data in the following format:

" Mr A B Bloggs, 12 Nowhere Raod, Somewhere, Shireshire, SN12 4UP. "

How can I point word mail merge at this data field and get it to insert a
line break where it sees a comma? so that there format becomes:

Mr A B Bloggs
12 Nowhere Road
Somewhere
Shireshire
SN12 4UP

Any suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi,

Word's fields don't support this kind of data manipulation. Your best option
might be to edit the Excel data, by replacing the commas and their trailing
spaces with line feeds. In excel you'd do this via Find/Replace where the
'find' string is a commas and trailing space, and the 'replace string is
ASCII 10 - which you can enter as Alt-010.

Cheers