Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dkern

Default Fax Problem--Busy Signal Precedes Completion of Call

I'm unable to send Word 2000 documents via fax using the standard
Print/Fax/Fax Wizard protocol as posted in the Windows XP online. When I
complete the process by hitting Finish, the internal modem of my laptop
begins to dial the number. Almost simultaneously I get a busy signal which
precedes completion of the call (and persists through completion of dial-up
process). I haven't used the "fax from a windows application" in a year or
two on this computer but it used to work just fine. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You may be better off asking this in a more general-purpose Windows printing
and fax group, e.g. microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax, especially if the
problem occurs whatever type of document you are trying to fax.

FWIW, if I were experiencing this problem, I would probably
a. check that I did not have any non-standard modem initialisation string
(unusal these days)
b. have a look at control panel|add/remove software to see if Windows
Update/Microsoft Update had downloaded any updates to my modem driver
c. consider uninstalling/reinstalling my modem driver, but only if I knew I
had the correct driver available and after doing a system checkpoint.

but that's about all I can suggest).

Peter Jamieson