Russell Farr

Default Mail merge - Word 2003/Access 2000

Thanks Peter

Your first suggestion around DDE connections has worked! All users are now
working.

Thanks for your help

Russell

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Issue 2 - why can't I view the database queries when trying to set up a
new
mail merge?

Several types of query are not visible in Word 2003, which uses a different
connection method (OLEDB) by default than Word 97/2000, which used DDE. Some
query types (e.g. parameter queries) can only be seen if you use DDE. You
may be able to make others visible without reverting to DDE but on the whole
the easiest way to get things going again is to check Word
Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open", g through the connection
process again, and select the DDE option when it is offered. DDE will only
be usable if Access is installed on the user's machine.

Issue 1 - why is this not working for just one user?

I don't know, sorry. Are the user machines pretty much the same in every
respect (version of Windowss, MDAC, and so on)?

Peter Jamieson
"Russell Farr" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help, this is driving me mad!

I have two issues...

I have an Access 97 which I have converted to Access 2000 - we've all
recently upgraded to Access 2003 but still have a few 2000 users dotted
around.

Existing Mail Merge documents have been merging perfectly for the majority
of users, however there is one user in particular which, when opening the
merge document, gets the message 'Find Data Source'/'Options'. On trying
locate the data source and finding the database to link it to, it only
displays database tables, not the query which I want to run from, and
there
does not appear to be any option to view the queries within the database.

Issue 1 - why is this not working for just one user? I have checked
everything I can think of - they are opening the correct document, have
the
same access rights to the shared folder, and the drive is mapped to the
exact
same place using the same drive letter.

Issue 2 - why can't I view the database queries when trying to set up a
new
mail merge?

Thanks!

Russell

Russell Farr

Hello

Just following on from this post of mine, I now have an issue where a number
of other users cannot merge. When they open the word doc, I asks to 'Find
Data Source'. I have followed the instructions to recreate the DDE link on
their PC, but as soon as I select the query from the list, it immediately
prompts for 'Find Data Source' again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Russell

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Russell Farr

Hi Peter

Its happening to both. Although it works perfectly on my machine, most of
the others are getting this issue.

I can't explain it - we have all just had a 'common desktop' rolled out
where the PCs should be exactly the same.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Peter Jamieson

Are the users definitely seeing Access start (it should, when you use DDE) ?

Does itmake any difference what kind of table or query they choose?

My best guess (and that is all it is), especially given that some of the
queries are not visible unless you use DDE, is that users have been
presented with the dialog box about enabling sandbox mode, and have
responded differently. You should be able to disable sandbox mode (which
applies to Access, not individual databases) by (caution required, and of
course you may need to be an admin. or some such to do it) going into Access
Tools|Macros|Security and setting the level to Low, answering the question,
stopping/restarting Access, then resetting to the level you need at which
point you'll probably see the sandbox question again.

If that makes a difference, there are two main possibilities:
a. the things you want to do don't work in sandbox mode
b. the things you want to do work in sandbox mode but you don't have Jet
SP8 so sandbox mode does not work properly

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Eileen Bartlett

I'm having a similar issue as well. I'm still using Word 2002 and have Excel
97. I have a user with Office 2003 who needs to use a mail merge document
which was created on my machine. When we open the main document, it appears
that everything is well, and we set up the necessary filters and sorts.
However, when we click on complete the merge, the filters don't work. Rather
than giving us the subset of the full Excel worksheet that we need, we're
getting all the records, even though when we set up the filters we see only
the records we expect to see. Is there a DDE setting we need to change, or
something else?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Peter Jamieson

I'm not sure the conversation you quoted is relevant, but...

Is Word 2003 actually opening the Excel workbook using DDE (you can tell
because Excel will open) ?

even though when we set up the filters we see only
the records we expect to see

Can you confirm/deny that this means that when you preview, you see the
right results, but when you merge, you get the lot?

How easy would it be to recreate the Word doc. starting from a Word 2003
blank document (e.g. using copy/paste)?

Peter Jamieson
"Eileen Bartlett" Eileen wrote in
message ...

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Brenda

I'm having the same problems. I've created a Word 2003 mail merge using DDE
and it works fine on my machine and a few others, but I have a hand full
where it keeps prompting them to find the data source. I've configured the
macro security level to low and still it's prompting to locate the data
source. If I walk through it on the users machine where I'm getting the
error - it goes right back to asking to find the data source again. On the
machines that keep prompting to locate the data source I am able to open the
access database and run the query and get data back - the error occurs with
the merge document. I'm using DDE because I'm using a parameter query. I've
check and double check - the option to "confirm convertion at open" under the
general tab is selected in Word as well.