Mits

Default Creating Address List

Thanks to Cindy Meister for your very helpful site.

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

I need some clairification on the "Creating Index Headers for the addresses.
I have created a merge document that works with the merge function in
Outlook. I can create the document fine but one of the last steps to to have
a a heading above the cities for all of the records. The big catch is that I
only want the city listed once per occurance. In other words...The final doc
should look like this:

Edmonton

ABC Company
101 Main Street
Edmonton, AB
A1A 2B2

My Welding Shop
10 Busy Ave
Edmonton, AB
B2B 3C3

Calgary

Big Company
101 1 Street
Calgary, AB
G5G 6H6

Note how the city appears above the data but only shows up once. Much like
an address book may appear with the first letter of the persons last name.

Cindy's web site touches on that exact solution but I don't understand her
example. The {REF Index} part is what I don't follow. This is her example:

Example: { IF { REF Index } { MERGEFIELD INITIAL } "-- { MERGEFIELD
INITIAL } --¶" }
{ MERGEFIELD LASTNAME }, { MERGEFIELD FIRSTNAME }
{ MERGEFIELD PHONE }{ SET Index { MERGEFIELD INITIAL } }
Display -- A --
Anonymous, Jane
999 000-9999

Anonymous, Joe
000 999-0000

Mits

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWl0cw==?=,

the trick with my Index headings is that the SEQ field is set to display
letters instead of numbers. so every time the first letter of the selected
entry changes, the SEQ field is updated and displays the next letter. The
method also won't let you skip letters in the alphabet.

For what you need, I think a variation on the KB article for "one-to-many"
would probably work. Go back to my website and look for the discussion on how
to include lists of multiple items / record in a merge. There's a link in there
to a Knowledge Base article that you should be able to adapt.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)