Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

Default text boxes inside drawing canvas

I use two text boxes inside the drawing canvas. As soon as I type
letters in either of the boxes the other box is filled with the same
letter (the same is valid for deleting). They behave like clones. Boxes
are not linked (did not use pouring mug) and the button for unlinking
is greyed. I'm getting crazy on this...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Did you actually insert two text boxes? Or, did as 2nd one mysteriously
appear after you inserted the original one? I'm wondering if there might
just be a single box, and the 2nd one is a ghost/artifact due to a bug in
your display driver.

Does this happen in a brand new document, or just in that one document?

What version of Word is this? What happens if you insert text boxes without
the drawing canvas? Tools - Options - General, just above Measurement Units,
remove the check next to "Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting
AutoShapes".

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Searcher_5" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use two text boxes inside the drawing canvas. As soon as I type
letters in either of the boxes the other box is filled with the same
letter (the same is valid for deleting). They behave like clones. Boxes
are not linked (did not use pouring mug) and the button for unlinking
is greyed. I'm getting crazy on this...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

The text boxes must be in the drawing canvas for mz document. The
canvas is set to 'top and bottom', i.e. it is not 'inline'. It's not a
driver problem and it is not an artifact. In a brand new document this
problem does not occur. The option that you describe ( automatic
canvas) is already turned off. I am using Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Herb Tyson [MVP]

If the canvas is turned off, then how is it that you're getting it anyway?

In any event, I can't replicate the problem using Word 2003. It definitely
is not a "feature". Even if the text boxes were linked, you wouldn't be
seeing what you're seeing. The fact that it does not occur in a new document
suggests to me that the problem is one of document corruption.

Some things I would try:

Choose File - Open, select the file, then choose Open and Repair from the
dropdown arrow next to Open in the lower right corner of the Open dialog
box. Did that fix it?

If not... copy the document to the clipboard, then paste it into a new
document. Does the problem still occur?

If that doesn't fix it, try File - Save as, and save it as an .rtf file.
Close the .rtf file, then re-open it. Then save in Word format, close the
file, then re-open it. Does the problem still occur now?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Searcher_5" wrote in message
oups.com...
The text boxes must be in the drawing canvas for mz document. The
canvas is set to 'top and bottom', i.e. it is not 'inline'. It's not a
driver problem and it is not an artifact. In a brand new document this
problem does not occur. The option that you describe ( automatic
canvas) is already turned off. I am using Word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

Thanks Herb for your suggestions!