Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes

Default Converting Word to Excel

I have inherited a neighborhood roster of 409 properties in MS Word.

I need to get it into Excel to make a bookfold directory in word.

I have manually placed each property on its own line with tabs between the
fields i.e. name, address, telephone, etc..

I'm using Office2003 and have tried many ways to import it into excel, but
to no avail.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Why do you need to get it into Excel? Use Table | Convert | Text to Table to
convert the tab-delimited text into a table. You can then copy/paste into
Excel if you like, but you can equally well use the Word table as a mail
merge data source. For only 409 properties, I'd be tempted to leave it in
Word.

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I have inherited a neighborhood roster of 409 properties in MS Word.

I need to get it into Excel to make a bookfold directory in word.

I have manually placed each property on its own line with tabs between the
fields i.e. name, address, telephone, etc..

I'm using Office2003 and have tried many ways to import it into excel, but
to no avail.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dennis Hughes

I've never used a word table as a base for the directory.

Will try it. Thanks,

Dennis

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Why do you need to get it into Excel? Use Table | Convert | Text to Table
convert the tab-delimited text into a table. You can then copy/paste into
Excel if you like, but you can equally well use the Word table as a mail
merge data source. For only 409 properties, I'd be tempted to leave it in
Word.

so
all may benefit.

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I have inherited a neighborhood roster of 409 properties in MS Word.

I need to get it into Excel to make a bookfold directory in word.

I have manually placed each property on its own line with tabs between
the
fields i.e. name, address, telephone, etc..

I'm using Office2003 and have tried many ways to import it into excel,
but
to no avail.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If you have Word 2002 or 2003, create the table as a separate document. Put
your field names in the top row and mark it as a heading row. Then select
this as your data source when you come to the appropriate point in the
Wizard, or, if you're using the "express" method (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/E...MailMerges.htm), when you click on
the Open Data Source button on the Mail Merge toolbar.

"Dennis Hughes" wrote in message
I've never used a word table as a base for the directory.

Will try it. Thanks,

Dennis

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Why do you need to get it into Excel? Use Table | Convert | Text to

Table
convert the tab-delimited text into a table. You can then copy/paste

into
Excel if you like, but you can equally well use the Word table as a mail
merge data source. For only 409 properties, I'd be tempted to leave it

in
Word.

newsgroup
so