Pat B

Default Trying to use a .dot document as main document

I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in an mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not sure what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both 2000 and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Did you save the template (.dot document) in the templates folder? Are you
using FileNew and then selecting that template to create a new document
based on it as mail merge main document? Is the document protected?

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for the
benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions forwarded

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not sure what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both 2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

It's not protected. I just put it in the templates folder, but it doesn't
show up in any of the tabs when I select File New. Do I have to do anything
special to make it show up? I will try again at home as that setup is likely
to be less complicated than the one at work in terms of where the templates
are located.

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not sure what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both 2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Charles Kenyon

"merge options are grayed out"

If this is on the merge toolbar, you may not have a database selected. Can
you attach a data file?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

I am not sure that I understand your question. By "attach a data file" do you
mean select a data source for my merge data? If that's what you mean, then
no, I can't since the options to start the merge functions are what I can't
access on the toolbar. If that's not what you meant, please explain a little
differently. I have also tried the other suggestion of creating a new
document from the template I received, by using the File, New suggestion from
the other post, but the Mail Merge options are still greyed out.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

"merge options are grayed out"

If this is on the merge toolbar, you may not have a database selected. Can
you attach a data file?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Charles Kenyon

Is it "grayed out" on a toolbar or on a menu? Which merge options are grayed
out? I have the mailmerge toolbar displayed all the time and 90% of the time
most of the options are grayed out because the document isn't a merge
document or isn't attached to a datafile.
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

"merge options are grayed out"

If this is on the merge toolbar, you may not have a database selected.
Can
you attach a data file?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in
an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not
sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

Whenever any document created from this template is open, when you select
Tools, the words "Mail Merge" (or the equivalent terms on XP version) on the
drop down menu are greyed out so that you cannot start the merge process.
Seems like any other time I have a document open, whether it's a blank new
one from "normal.dot" or an existing .doc, the Mail Merge option on the Tools
menu is available to me.

thanks for continuing to try and help on this one!

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

"merge options are grayed out"

If this is on the merge toolbar, you may not have a database selected.
Can
you attach a data file?
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news It's not protected. I just put it in the templates folder, but it

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document in
an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not
sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Graham Mayor

You must put it in the user templates folder (or a sub folder of that
folder) you can locate the correct folder by looking in tools options
file locations user templates to see what folder is defined there. It will
then show under file new and when you create a new document from it you
will have the required commands available.

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document
in an mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate this function or what else you might need to know to
assist? Not sure what version of word the file was created in, but
I did a save as in both 2000 and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

I've done that, figured it out after I found the spot you mentioned.
Virtually all the options on the Tools menu still come up grey(like the
speller etc) when I use this template. Basically, it's a form with some
premade fields that are blank that I want to use for the mail merge.

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document
in an mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate this function or what else you might need to know to
assist? Not sure what version of word the file was created in, but
I did a save as in both 2000 and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Charles Kenyon

Try recreating the template. Start with a new blank document and format its
margins the same way. Then copy all but the last paragraph mark from the old
template into the new document and save that as a template.
--

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document
in
an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not
sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in
both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

Couldn't copy anything ... In reviewing what type of menu options were
available to me, one of the few active ones is "Unprotect document" So,
basically, after all this, I think the file is password protected! Is there a
way to get around this by doing some kind of a save as to be able to
unprotect the background data of the file?

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document
in
an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist? Not
sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as in
both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Charles Kenyon

It is likely protected as a form. If you can see it, that is likely the
password protection that applies. I would have said this earlier but you
said it is not a protected form.

Import the file into another file. Insert File... (not as a link)

--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

"merge options are grayed out"

If this is on the merge toolbar, you may not have a database
selected.
Can
you attach a data file?
--

Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of

"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main
document
in
an
mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how
activate
this function or what else you might need to know to assist?
Not
sure
what
version of word the file was created in, but I did a save as
in
both
2000
and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...

Pat B

Thanks so much, that worked! I went back into the questions and guess I
didn't fully understand the question regarding protection earlier on, since I
was able to do other things with the form. Should have realized something was
going on with it earlier than this in the thread! Again, thanks for your
perserverance.