Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
yepp

Default page numbers and sub pages

MSWord 2003:

Is there a way to get page numbering to do go into sub-pages? We often
use "Change Pages" and the numbering is a little longer. We also use
chapter nos. preceding the page number. So we have something like this

1-1, 1-2, 1-2.1, 1-2.1.1, 1-3

Can this be done and picked up in the TOC?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Charles Kenyon

Sub pages are an editing and upkeep nightmare. They have caused loss of life
and great property damage. Don't use these if you can avoid.

Chapter numbering can be done easily. You could have separate sections for
numbers or use heading styles and StyleRef fields.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

In creating numbered heading styles you must follow the instructions at: How
to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"yepp" wrote in message
oups.com...
MSWord 2003:

Is there a way to get page numbering to do go into sub-pages? We often
use "Change Pages" and the numbering is a little longer. We also use
chapter nos. preceding the page number. So we have something like this

1-1, 1-2, 1-2.1, 1-2.1.1, 1-3

Can this be done and picked up in the TOC?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Al Gillis

Default Empty paragraphs and other "Stylish" things...

I'm not a professional writer - just a hacker who writes four to ten page
procedural documents from time to time.

Recently I've read several posts and replies that talk about using "empty
paragraphs" as though they were the scourge of mankind. Also, the
establishment of Styles rather than changing formats of individual words,
paragraphs or other portions of a document is treated as though it were a
sacrilegious abomination to ever use the Format command.

I'm trying to learn from the professionals and do as they suggest but I'm
undergoing a lot of emotional trauma over styles and empty paragraphs. So
what are the reasons behind the advice on these two topics?

Thanks for your patience with me! (And incidentally, I find the
word.mvps.org site quite helpful!)

Al

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

The problem with empty paragraphs is at least threefold:

1. Since the paragraph mark contains all the formatting for the paragraph,
there's just as much formatting for an empty paragraph as there is for a
paragraph of text; this means that empty paragraphs increase document size
(as does use of direct formatting instead of styles).

2. Whereas Word does suppress Space Before at the top of a page and Space
After at the bottom of a page, it does not have any provision for ignoring
an empty paragraph (unlike WordPerfect, which does ignore up to one empty
paragraph between text paragraphs). This means that if you use empty
paragraphs to create "blank lines" between text paragraphs, sooner or later
you're going to have one land at the top of a page and ruin your top margin.

3. Empty paragraphs can cause problems with text flow. For example, the
first four levels of Word's built-in heading styles (Headings 1-4) are
formatted as "Keep with next" to make sure that the headings will stay with
following text. The "style for following paragraph" for these styles is
Normal. If you insert a heading and then press Enter twice, you've got a
heading that will stay with your empty paragraph (blank line) but not with
the text paragraph you want it to stay with (unless you format your empty
paragraph as KWN also). Moreover, unless you've modified the heading style,
you've got way more space following the heading than you need (3 points
Space After is built into the style).

This brings up another issue: a full line is often more than is really
needed. I often find that for 10- or 12-pt text, 6 pts space between
paragraphs is more than adequate; an empty paragraph adds 12-14 points or
more. In any case, if you want the rough equivalent of an empty paragraph,
you can easily press Ctrl+0 (zero) to add 12 pts Space Before to a text
paragraph.

As for use of styles, I've never seen anyone claim to use (or advocate
using) styles for every single document. For the occasional throwaway
document, direct formatting is much easier and quite acceptable. But for
structured documents that will be edited over time, styles are the only
sensible approach. Not only do they reduce document size, but they foster
consistency and facilitate revision. If you just start typing and apply
direct formatting to your headings as you go, not only do you have to (at
least mentally) keep track of what formatting you previously used for a
given heading level, but if you change your mind and decide you want a
different font or font size or bold instead of italic or vice versa, you
have to run through the entire document making changes (at a minimum by
using the Format Painter or Paste Format); if you have applied heading
styles, all you have to do is modify the style, and all the paragraphs are
updated automatically.

In addition, use of the built-in heading styles is required for access to
some features (such as including the chapter number in page or caption
numbering) and strongly recommended for others; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html.