brownsox

Default Mailmerge in Word, date format in merged doc

I have been using mailmerge with an Excel data source for 3 years. I created
a new worksheet for 2005 and something has gone wrong.
First, opening the Word doc no longer automatically opens the Excel file.
In fact unless I open the Excel file before the Word file, it says the Excel
file is locked for editing - although it's not apparently open at all. The
other way round , it's ok.
Secondly, there are 2 date fields in the data source, with custom format. I
enter eg 1/9 (UK order) and the worksheet correctly shows September 1. The
mailmerge letter/email also used to show September 1. But now it shows 9/1
(US order). I cannot imagine how this has happened or work out how to fix
it. HELP!
Doug Robbins

See the "Dates: day/month reversed" item under the "Connection methods"
topic of the "Mail merge in Word 2002" section of fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"brownsox" wrote in message
I have been using mailmerge with an Excel data source for 3 years. I
created
a new worksheet for 2005 and something has gone wrong.
First, opening the Word doc no longer automatically opens the Excel file.
In fact unless I open the Excel file before the Word file, it says the
Excel
file is locked for editing - although it's not apparently open at all. The
other way round , it's ok.
Secondly, there are 2 date fields in the data source, with custom format.
enter eg 1/9 (UK order) and the worksheet correctly shows September 1.
The
mailmerge letter/email also used to show September 1. But now it shows
9/1
(US order). I cannot imagine how this has happened or work out how to fix
it. HELP!

brownsox

Thank you - that has sorted the date problem (found Mailmerge helper and
reset to use DDE). Opening the mailmerge doc now also opens the Excel file,
as before. Great.
BUT it is reading data from the wrong worksheet - I have tried entering the
correct sheet name (2005) in the helper dialogue but it doesn't work. Any
help gratefully received. I suppose I could delete the old sheets but don't
really want to - and it should surely not be necessary?
Thanks.