Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Conan Kelly

Default Opening a TXT file unbound to paper size/margins

Hello all,

How do I open a text file in MS Word so that it is not bound to a paper size or margins?

I have a text file that I need to import into MS Access/SQL Server. This text file runs out to column 174 in Notepad (when Word
Wrap is shut off). But this text file is in a "Report" format: every 57 lines is the page header for the next page and then
records follow. That is why I want to open it in Word, so I can run macros on it to delete the page headers and the summaries at
the end of each section so I can import only records into Access/SQL Server.

When ever I open it in Word, first the File Conversion dialog box pops up with Unicode selected. I click "OK", but then the ruler
shows up at the top of the Word doc limited to 11.5" and the lines are wrapping when it gets to the right margin. I've tried
changing paper size and margins but can't seem to get the 11.5" ruler to expand so the lines will quit wrapping and each record will
only take up one line.

I'm afraid of how that will affect my macros. They will depend heavily on finding certain text and then deleting a certain number
of lines once that text is found. I would definitely be more comfortable writing/running my macros if the lines did not wrap.

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling some feathers by multi-/cross- posting on 3 different NG's. I just figure that I'm expanding my audience
and have a better chance of getting my questions answered.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jezebel

A Word document will always fit the template it's based on (and every
document is based on a template). In the current case, normal.dot is being
used.

If you're writing macros anyway, it would be simpler to read the file
directly into a variable, work on it there, then write it back (ie without
ever displaying it at all) --

Dim pLines() as string
Dim pFileNum as long

pFileNum = freefile

Open "C:\My Documents\...." for input as pFileNum
pLines = Split(Input(Lof(pFilenum),pFilenum), vbCr)
Close #pFileNum

' Do whatever to pLines()

Open "C:\My Documents\...." for output as pFileNum
Print #pFileNum, Join(pLines, vbCr)
Close #pFileNum

"Conan Kelly" CTBarbarin at msn dot com wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
POP

Conan Kelly wrote:
[...]

You should check to see if the lines are actualy wrapped or not
by turning on the formatting controls. Use View, Normal, not
View, Page Layout.

As long as you make sure you Save it as a text file, sounds like
you should choose unicode, you'll be fine. Word won't add
anything to it unless you tell it to.

I suspect your file in Word is probably fine as long as th eone
you are opening is OK. You're just looking at it in Page Layout
view, which wraps the lines for you, similar to if you typed them
in without pressing Return. Displaying the format markers will
tell you what's where.

If you aren't sure, try pulling it into Word, select View |
Normal, then Save it as a text file. Now, open it with Wordpad
(or Notepad) and see if you still have the long lines; you
should. It's all in how you Save the file.

HTH,
Pop

I'm sorry if I'm ruffling some feathers by multi-/cross-
posting on 3 different NG's. I just figure that I'm
expanding my audience and have a better chance of getting
my questions answered.

That's a lot of scatter, actually. You should set follups to
your favorite group and do all the reading/responses from there.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wilfried Hennings

[...]

Hello,
don't bother if Word wraps the lines. This is just a display matter and
doesn't affect the file as long as it is saved as plaintext (or
Unicode).
Each end-of-line (actually an end-of-line + carriage-return pair) in a
plaintext file shows as paragraph mark when opened in Word; each
paragraph mark in Word becomes an end-of-line when saved as plaintext.

It also won't affect your macros as long as you don't rely on Word's
"lines" but rely on paragraphs.

--
email me: change "nospam" to "w.hennings"
Wilfried Hennings c./o.