charlene leblanc

Default Text cut off in merged document when very long field data

The data source is an Excel sheet and some cells contains between 200 and 500
characters, some of it formatted with carriage returns. When the data
arrives in the Word document with those fields cut off. It seems very
inconsistent as to what fields get cut off and at what character count.

As a test I inserted text totalling 400 characters in 4 different cells that
all the merged into the same Word document. All the cells are formatted as
General. While proceeding through the Merge Wizard, I checked the fields in
question in the Edit Recipient list and it appeared that the first field
contained 254 of the 400 characters and the other 3 fields contained 255 of
the 400 characters. I backed out and double checked the contents and format
of the columns in the spreadsheet and even re-copied the cells to be sure. I
reran the merge and found the same result in the Edit Recipient list so
proceeded with the merge and the result baffled me. The first field contains
all 400 characters but the other 3 each contain only the 255 first
characters.

I am fairly new to mail merge and would appreciate any assistance helping
resolving this.

Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
How do I keep merged data from advancing surrounding text in a fo. Don Coffey Microsoft Word Help 0 December 23rd 04 04:03 PM
Word Field Codes in Excel data file mranz Mailmerge 7 December 11th 04 09:02 AM
Text Form Field Ref in Footer Won't Update on Screen StarWine Microsoft Word Help 3 December 6th 04 06:17 PM
posting data from text input fields to fields later in document BOB Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 06:19 PM