Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisKerr ChrisKerr is offline

Default Why are some file names in a folder in blue and others in black

In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not others?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The answer to the first one is that some folders (the blue ones) are
compressed.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ChrisKerr" wrote in message
In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while
others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not others?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You're welcome. Sorry I can't answer the second question for you.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ChrisKerr" wrote in message
Thank You.

"ChrisKerr" wrote in message
In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while
others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not
others?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you have "Automatically create backup copy" enabled, you will get a
"Backup of filename.wbk" file the *second* time you save a document. If
you only ever save once, there will be no backup. Or you may have recently
enabled this option. Or you may have (as I periodically do) cleared out
backups of old files.

.. .

"ChrisKerr" wrote in message
In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while
others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not

others?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lois Lois is offline

"ChrisKerr" wrote:

In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not others?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lois Lois is offline

I had this problem and figured out how to get the files titles to be black
again. Here's what to do:
1. select a file that is in blue
2. right click
3. click on properties
4. click on advanced
5.UNCHECK 'compress contents to save disk space'
6. click OK
7. click apply
8. click OK

Good luck! Those blue file titles drove me nuts. This has something to do
with compresing files, but don't ask me what. In any case, the above worked
for me. Lois

"ChrisKerr" wrote:

In Word 2003, some of the files in a folder are in blue color, while others
are in black. How come?
Also, how come there are backup copies of some Word files, but not others?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ben M. Schorr, MVP Ben M. Schorr, MVP is offline

When they're compressed they take less space on the hard drive. If you dont
want to see the blue colors then it would be better to go to the View
settings for your folders and uncheck the "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS
files in color" checkbox. They you don't have to waste disk space just so
the colors will match up. :-)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP