Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57 Henk57 is offline

Default Forcing Word to start a new section on an odd or even page

I have a large Word document (350 pg) that is converted to pdf.
Although intended as a one-sided print, many want to double-side print
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a new
page, but on a new even page consistently. Does anyone know whether is
it possible to instruct Word to do that automatically, maybe with field
codes in the page numbering? Each section has a page number format
Ch-n, where Ch is the Chapter number (letters for appendices) and n is
the page number, starting at 1 for each section.
Any help is much appreciated.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Henk,

In addition to (or to emphasise) what Suzanne has said:
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a new
page, but on a new even page consistently.

For duplex printing, new sections customarily begin on an ODD page.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Henk57" wrote in message

I have a large Word document (350 pg) that is converted to pdf.
Although intended as a one-sided print, many want to double-side print
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a new
page, but on a new even page consistently. Does anyone know whether is
it possible to instruct Word to do that automatically, maybe with field
codes in the page numbering? Each section has a page number format
Ch-n, where Ch is the Chapter number (letters for appendices) and n is
the page number, starting at 1 for each section.
Any help is much appreciated.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Furthermore, Word will insist on using an odd page number if you start the
section with an Odd Page break and an even number with an Even Page break,
so you can't use an Even Page break and start the section with 1.

"Henk57" wrote in message

I have a large Word document (350 pg) that is converted to pdf.
Although intended as a one-sided print, many want to double-side print
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a new
page, but on a new even page consistently. Does anyone know whether is
it possible to instruct Word to do that automatically, maybe with field
codes in the page numbering? Each section has a page number format
Ch-n, where Ch is the Chapter number (letters for appendices) and n is
the page number, starting at 1 for each section.
Any help is much appreciated.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

.... and that's about as clear as one can be ...
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Henk57" wrote in message

I have a large Word document (350 pg) that is converted to pdf.
Although intended as a one-sided print, many want to double-side print
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a new
page, but on a new even page consistently. Does anyone know whether is
it possible to instruct Word to do that automatically, maybe with field
codes in the page numbering? Each section has a page number format
Ch-n, where Ch is the Chapter number (letters for appendices) and n is
the page number, starting at 1 for each section.
Any help is much appreciated.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Henk57 Henk57 is offline

Thanks, Pat and Suzanne, for your time and help!
I guess I cannot have both worlds. I never used double-sided print
options, so wasn't familiar w/ these section breaks. Helpful, thanks.
I considered inserting the "front page" for each section into the
sections, suppressing the first page number by checking "different
headers and footers" but that's not an option because it works on the
document level, not on the section level, and also it increases the
size of the doc even further.... I can also choose ODD and later
assemble it with two pdf pages increasing the number of blank pages
which is a bit silly when using a single=-sided printer. (Using the
page for notes can be smart but my electronic document is protected so
for on screen reading this is annoying I guess...).
Anyway, I am a step further. Thanks again.
br,
Henk

Pat Garard Wrote:
.... and that's about as clear as one can be ...
`[:-}
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
...-
Furthermore, Word will insist on using an odd page number if you start
the
section with an Odd Page break and an even number with an Even Page
break,
so you can't use an Even Page break and start the section with 1.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Pat Garard" apgarard-bigpond:net:au wrote in message
...-
G'Day Henk,

In addition to (or to emphasise) what Suzanne has said:-
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a
new
page, but on a new even page consistently.-

For duplex printing, new sections customarily begin on an ODD page.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"Henk57" wrote in message
...-

I have a large Word document (350 pg) that is converted to pdf.
Although intended as a one-sided print, many want to double-side
print
it. In that case I would like to start each section not only on a
new
page, but on a new even page consistently. Does anyone know whether
is
it possible to instruct Word to do that automatically, maybe with
field
codes in the page numbering? Each section has a page number format
Ch-n, where Ch is the Chapter number (letters for appendices) and n
is
the page number, starting at 1 for each section.
Any help is much appreciated.

--
Henk57-

-
-

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Henk,

The printer driver for my single-sided printer has options to print
both sides.

It will print half the pages (the even ones), then an extra page with
instructions and a message on-screen.

I then reload the printed paper (to the instructions) - it prints the odd
pages in reverse order and I end up with a "duplex" document.

Word itself will print even/odd pages in normal/reverse order for the
same purpose.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

[...]