Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Chip Orange Chip Orange is offline

Default way to do a "double hanging indent"

We have recently converted a large document operation from WordPerfect to
Word. We have documents formatted whose layout had been aided by a WP
feature that allowed us to do a "double hanging indent".

We can't find a way to do something similar in Word, so we've been
redesigning documents into tables to use tabular columns in place of a
hanging indent inside of a hanging indent.

Is this the only/best way to achieve this kind of layout?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you can explain for the benefit of those of us who don't use WordPerfect
what a 'double hanging indent' is, we will be able to tell you what is
possible in Word.

Chip Orange wrote:
We have recently converted a large document operation from
WordPerfect to Word. We have documents formatted whose layout had
been aided by a WP feature that allowed us to do a "double hanging
indent".
We can't find a way to do something similar in Word, so we've been
redesigning documents into tables to use tabular columns in place of a
hanging indent inside of a hanging indent.

Is this the only/best way to achieve this kind of layout?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Format your paragraph with an indent on both the right and left side. I'm
guessing that you are really talking about a "pulled quote". (Format |
Paragraph)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Chip Orange" wrote in message
We have recently converted a large document operation from WordPerfect to
Word. We have documents formatted whose layout had been aided by a WP
feature that allowed us to do a "double hanging indent".

We can't find a way to do something similar in Word, so we've been
redesigning documents into tables to use tabular columns in place of a
hanging indent inside of a hanging indent.

Is this the only/best way to achieve this kind of layout?

Thanks.

Chip

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

No, that would be a double indent (and it's a "block quote," not a "pull
quote," which is something else entirely). A double hanging indent, I would
guess, is one that has a hanging indent on the second line and then another,
larger left indent somewhere below that. I don't believe there's any good
way to achieve this in Word. In WordPerfect, there is a command (Ctrl+F7) to
"create a hanging indent here." You insert the code, and it resets the left
indent at that point until you change it, which you can do later in the same
paragraph.

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Chip Orange Chip Orange is offline

Exactly, thanks so much Suzanne for explaining it, and I apologize for not
being clearer.

We've so far tried using a 2 column table to achieve the first hanging
indent; the left column is rather narrow and holds the beginning of the
paragraph (that's outdented), and the right column holds the remaining,
indented, part of the paragraph. Within this right-hand column we format
the paragraph as a hanging indent, to achieve the twice indented portion of
the last part of the paragraph.

The places where we use this aren't always suited to tables, so I was hoping
there was a better way to do this.

Thanks.

Chip

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No, that would be a double indent (and it's a "block quote," not a "pull
quote," which is something else entirely). A double hanging indent, I
would
guess, is one that has a hanging indent on the second line and then
another,
larger left indent somewhere below that. I don't believe there's any good
way to achieve this in Word. In WordPerfect, there is a command (Ctrl+F7)
"create a hanging indent here." You insert the code, and it resets the
left
indent at that point until you change it, which you can do later in the
same
paragraph.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

What determines where the second hanging indent begins? If it follows a line
break, then perhaps you could substitute a paragraph break and use two
separate paragraphs, with different formatting?

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Chip Orange Chip Orange is offline

Thanks, but nothing that easy. The second one is usually something like:

Company Name: Very Very Very Long Company Name Here Which Should Wrap Under
Itself But It Doesn't ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm a little confused. Why doesn't it wrap under itself? Or what do you mean
by "under itself"? If you've got something like this:

Company Data:
Company Name: Very Very Very Long Company Name Here Which Should
Wrap Under Itself
Company Address: Address Block

Then is the *first* line separable (as a heading)? If not, I'd insert line
breaks as needed, then insert tab characters to take text to a tab set at
the appropriate location. It's a kludge, but it's the only way I know of.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

To indent the WHOLE thing -- select the paragraph or click inside it and
then CONTROL+M.
To have the first line start at the left and the rest of the lines wrap to
an indent, try CONTROL+T. Play around until you get what you want.

Then make a STYLE for each of your varying hanging paragraphs. After that,
just apply the STYLE to the paragraph.

--
*(((