Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
LisaH LisaH is offline

Default In doc with replaceable keywords, following punctuation misbehaves

I'm creating a Word 2003 document that's to be used as a template. I've
highlighted keywords (single words, no spaces) with embedded comments that
tell the user to double-click the commented word and type over it with the
correct information.

This works fine--the keyword is replaced and the comment is deleted--except
when the keyword is followed by punctuation. Then results vary. In some
documents, for the same user with the same options, double-clicking and
overtyping deletes the keyword and leaves the punctuation. In others, it
deletes the punctuation. If I insert a space between the keyword and
punctuation, it leaves the space. Whats going on? I have the following Edit
Options set:

o Typing replaces selection
o Drag-and-drop text editing
o Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink
o When selecting, automatically select entire word
o Prompt to update style
o Enable click and type

Any suggestions on how I can get the punctuation to behave predictably?
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Lisa,

I don't have an answer for the comment behaviour, but I can suggest an alternative approach:
At each location where you want the user to input something, insert a dummy MACROBUTTON field. You can create one of these by:
.. pressing Ctrl-F9 to create an empty pair of field braces (i.e. '{ }')
.. typing 'MACROBUTTON NoMacro Prompt Text' between the field braces, so that you end up with '{MACROBUTTON NoMacro Prompt Text}' -
replace 'Prompt Text' with your preferred prompt.
.. pressing F9 to update the field, which will now display 'Prompt Text'.
As soon as the user selects the field and starts typing, it'll be deleted.

A more secure way to do all this might be to use a document with protected formfields for inputting data, but that also limits your
access to some formatting options etc.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"LisaH" wrote in message ...
| I'm creating a Word 2003 document that's to be used as a template. I've
| highlighted keywords (single words, no spaces) with embedded comments that
| tell the user to double-click the commented word and type over it with the
| correct information.
|
| This works fine--the keyword is replaced and the comment is deleted--except
| when the keyword is followed by punctuation. Then results vary. In some
| documents, for the same user with the same options, double-clicking and
| overtyping deletes the keyword and leaves the punctuation. In others, it
| deletes the punctuation. If I insert a space between the keyword and
| punctuation, it leaves the space. What's going on? I have the following Edit
| Options set:
|
| o Typing replaces selection
| o Drag-and-drop text editing
| o Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink
| o When selecting, automatically select entire word
| o Prompt to update style
| o Enable click and type
|
| Any suggestions on how I can get the punctuation to behave predictably?
| Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

I don't know how many keywords you're replacing, Lisa, but I usually use a
document variable for these sorts of things. Insert the variable into the
document, save as template, teach the users how to modify the document
variable in the document properties. I've even created templates that
present the user with a dialog box to fill in the fields when they create a
new document based on the template.

Best regards

Mike

--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer