Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lionel B. Dyck Lionel B. Dyck is offline

Default Page x of y issue

How can I in Word 2007 create in the footer a "Page x of y"? I've yet to find
this in the ribbons or help (which does not mean it isn't there but I could not
find it).

Thanks in advance

--
Lionel B. Dyck
AIM ID: lbdyck Yahoo IM: lbdyck
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:33:27 -0800, "Lionel B. Dyck"
-x wrote:

How can I in Word 2007 create in the footer a "Page x of y"? I've yet to find
this in the ribbons or help (which does not mean it isn't there but I could not
find it).

Thanks in advance

There are three "out of the box" Page X of Y footers, but oddly they
all are formatted with bold page numbers. (There's a strong streak of
"artsy" in this version of Word.) It's fairly easy to set up what you
want, though.

Go to the Insert tab, click the Page Number button, and click Bottom
of Page. In the gallery that drops down, there's a group labeled "Page
X of Y", containing Bold Numbers 1, 2, and 3 for left, centered, and
right. Click the first of these to insert it in the footer.

Now select the text in the footer and press Ctrl+spacebar to remove
the bold formatting.

With the text still selected, notice that the ribbon displays the
Header & Footer Tools Design tab, and the Page Number button is now
at the left end. Click it, click Bottom of Page, and "Save Selection
as Page Number (Bottom)". In the dialog that appears, enter a name for
the footer (such as "Plain Numbers 1"), leave the gallery as "Page
Numbers (Bottom of Page)", and set the category to "Page X of Y".
Click OK. You can now find your new footer in the Page X of Y section
of the Insert Page Number Bottom of Page gallery.

Repeat the procedure for the center and right (Plain Numbers 2 and 3)
footers.

If you don't care for the Quick Parts approach, you can easily make
the footer without it. Just put the cursor in the footer (Insert Go
to Footer) and type this line:

Page page of numpages

Select the second word and press Ctrl+F9 to make it a field. Then
select the fourth word and press Ctrl+F9 again. Select the whole line
and press F9 to updated the fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jay - Thank you.
You're welcome.

I'm still getting used to the 2007 ribbons

So am I. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman