Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nahshon Evren Nahshon Evren is offline

Default pdf to Word

Hi

I've been trying several .pdf to Word converters,
none seem good enough for recuperating original
formats especially when reuperating tables and figures

Does anyone have any good idea about which pdf to Word
converter is the most effective for preserving formats (any including
scientific tables and graphs?!)

Many many many -

Thanks

Nash

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The issue is not so much the application for converting PDF to Word, but the
application from which the PDF was created in the first place. Some document
formats just don't convert very well to Word.

If you convert a Word document to PDF than back, you generally get something
pretty close to the original; but if the original was created by something
that uses a very different object model (like PageMaker, Publisher, Corel,
etc), then the resulting Word document will likely be a pig's breakfast,
whatever you use for the conversion.

"Nahshon Evren" doctornash@polyclinic . ch wrote in message
Hi

I've been trying several .pdf to Word converters,
none seem good enough for recuperating original
formats especially when reuperating tables and figures

Does anyone have any good idea about which pdf to Word
converter is the most effective for preserving formats (any including
scientific tables and graphs?!)

Many many many -

Thanks

Nash

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nahshon Evren Nahshon Evren is offline

OK so there's no 'ultimate' soft to get the thing perfect -
the options are between a mess and a rat's nest ?

"Jezebel" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The whole point of PDF is to create a fixed format graphical representation
of the original document. It is not intended to be deconstructed. You can do
that but not without some personal input.

The best tool I have found for the job is Abbyy Finereader's OCR software,
but even that will not give you a true copy of the original document without
putting in some work of your own.

On the other hand a Word document opened on a different PC with different
fonts and printer driver will not look the same either - which is where PDF
came in in the first place.

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nahshon Evren Nahshon Evren is offline

Thanks for the information -I always thought the point of pdf
was to simply compress a file - am I wrong ?

"Graham Mayor" a écrit dans le message de news:
The whole point of PDF is to create a fixed format graphical

representation
of the original document. It is not intended to be deconstructed. You can

do
that but not without some personal input.

The best tool I have found for the job is Abbyy Finereader's OCR software,
but even that will not give you a true copy of the original document

without
putting in some work of your own.

On the other hand a Word document opened on a different PC with different
fonts and printer driver will not look the same either - which is where

PDF
came in in the first place.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

PDF stands for Portable Document Format. The point was to be able to
electronically send documents to others who may or may not have the original
software (Word / WordPerfect / Lotus / etc.) This way anyone with the free
reader can read the document. Changes should be requested of the originator.
PDF documents are also a method for storing paper documents electronically.
Most scanners now create PDF files for use. Sometimes the documents are
OCR'd and sometimes they are not.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes. PDF has nothing to do with compression. If you want compression you
need WinZip, WinRar or similar.

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nahshon Evren Nahshon Evren is offline

OK everyone I work with seems to systematically convert
eveything to .pdf - I don't see the point really as everyone
uses Word so... I'm convinced most people think .pdf compresses !

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Disabuse yourself of that conviction: that's just projecting your own
misconception onto others.

Nahshon Evren wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Nahshon Evren Nahshon Evren is offline

"Jezebel" a écrit dans le message de news:
Disabuse yourself of that conviction: that's just projecting your own
misconception onto others.

euh sorry must be in the wrong group - what's with the Wallmart psychology
stuff ?