Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
automandc automandc is offline

Default Line Breaks in a TOA?

In the Table of Authorities dialog box, the "Print Preview" pane shows the
TOA entries broken into 2 lines. Is there a way to actually accomplish this
without inserting the line-breaks after the table generates (and therefore
having to do it everytime you update the table)?

I am using Word 2003.

I tried using the SYMBOL field to insert a 010 (line break) character into
the long-form cite in the TA field, but that did not work.

Thanks in Advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

In the long citation you need to insert a manual line break. This is done by
pressing SHIFT+ENTER. The manual line break symbol will look like the
character on your keyboard to indicate "enter".

My suggestion is for you to turn on your hidden characters and search for TA
\L. Place your cursor where you would like the long cite broken and then
press SHIFT+ENTER. Search for the next long citation.

Then be sure to turn off the hidden characters so that your pagination of
your Table will be correct before you update the table.

For more tips associated with a Table of Authorities see:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=650 it is a
member article but TechTrax is well worth the subscription.
--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"automandc" wrote in message
In the Table of Authorities dialog box, the "Print Preview" pane shows the
TOA entries broken into 2 lines. Is there a way to actually accomplish this
without inserting the line-breaks after the table generates (and therefore
having to do it everytime you update the table)?

I am using Word 2003.

I tried using the SYMBOL field to insert a 010 (line break) character into
the long-form cite in the TA field, but that did not work.

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
automandc automandc is offline

Wow, thanks. I had tried that, but the line breaks seemed to remain visible
even when the "show hidden" was turned off, so I thought it did not work. I
just tried it again and see that it does work as expected.

I appreciate the help and the link.

"automandc" wrote in message
In the Table of Authorities dialog box, the "Print Preview" pane shows the
TOA entries broken into 2 lines. Is there a way to actually accomplish this
without inserting the line-breaks after the table generates (and therefore
having to do it everytime you update the table)?

I am using Word 2003.

I tried using the SYMBOL field to insert a 010 (line break) character into
the long-form cite in the TA field, but that did not work.

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Glad to hear it!

--

"automandc" wrote in message
In the Table of Authorities dialog box, the "Print Preview" pane shows the
TOA entries broken into 2 lines. Is there a way to actually accomplish
this
without inserting the line-breaks after the table generates (and therefore
having to do it everytime you update the table)?

I am using Word 2003.

I tried using the SYMBOL field to insert a 010 (line break) character into
the long-form cite in the TA field, but that did not work.

Thanks in Advance

How do I insert automatic line breaks at the end of each line? smita Microsoft Word Help 2 August 13th 06 04:36 PM
Line Breaks SJT Microsoft Word Help 2 July 17th 06 11:37 PM
remove manual line breaks at the end of each line of txt Kimber Microsoft Word Help 3 March 7th 06 03:49 PM
replace auto line breaks with manual line breaks DavidH Microsoft Word Help 4 October 29th 05 11:57 PM
Line breaks duckie Microsoft Word Help 2 June 17th 05 04:07 PM